On edge for decision

More
26 Dec 2013 02:09 #42005 by Duc
On edge for decision was created by Duc
I'm at the edge for deciding between Mach3 or Linuxcnc. Both would more than work for my current setup.

Current setup
Bridgeport Ridge ram Boss 5
Original nema42 motors
QC30 spindle
Pneumatic brake and spindle speed.

I have a clean slate to start off with when it comes to the I/O, VFD, and computer system. I have experience with Mach3 due to my plasma table but also experience with Linux. In the future I will be adding an rotary 4th axis and maybe a 5th to raise the knee on the mill. Doubt I will need rigid tapping or the spindle synced with the axis's. Normally I would just try out either Mach3 or Linuxcnc but I would be going with Mesa 5i25/7i77 for Linuxcnc or Pmdx-126 w/ Ethernet smoothsteeper for the mach3 setup. Motors will be driven by Gecko 203v at 78 volts.

Now the dilemma comes down to selecting if I go with Mach3 or Linuxcnc. The cost of Mach3 is a mute point since I own a license already due to plasma table and multiple copies of Windows XP and windows 7.

HSMworks or Delcam post processor that works without modification?
Mastercam post processor?

Linux is a cheaper but I need a good cam program to work with Linuxcnc for some 3d profiling later on. Everything I design for work and home is done in Solidworks. I would also like the spindle speed to be controlled by a Hitachi WJ200 VFD.

Thanks for answering another newbie's question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2013 12:20 #42018 by tenaja
Replied by tenaja on topic On edge for decision
I don't have the cam programs you mentioned, so I can't help with posts. In general, if you are used to those programs, then you will likely be disappointed with any Cam options that run under Linux.

What are you looking to gain by switching to LinuxCNC?

More
26 Dec 2013 20:11 #42029 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic On edge for decision
LinuxCNC has a component to control an Automation Direct GS2 VFD via modbus. Does the Hitachi WJ200 VFD take analog 10v to control the speed? The Mesa 7i76 daughter card can control via analog.

I use Solidworks but don't have HMSWorks, I use OneCNC but can't say it is great to work with. I create most of my G code on my Windoze box and right click and "send to" my CNC machines. It's pretty easy to add to the "send to".

I tried Mach a couple of times... that's all I say about that.

If you add an encoder to your spindle you can have rigid tapping. I have kwik switch on my BP and as there is no draw bar the encoder was an easy add on.

JT

More
27 Dec 2013 02:06 #42037 by Duc
Replied by Duc on topic On edge for decision

I don't have the cam programs you mentioned, so I can't help with posts. In general, if you are used to those programs, then you will likely be disappointed with any Cam options that run under Linux.

What are you looking to gain by switching to LinuxCNC?

I will be doing all cad on a windoze machine.

Not really sure what I would gain by using Linuxcnc on the mill but its a fresh retrofit so trying to figure out which I should use. I do like the option of more I/O points using the Mesa cards but also have some fear of getting Addons to work well in LInuxcnc. Seems like its easy to get a pendant for Mach3 but more difficult to get a premade one for Linuxcnc. A Vistacnc pendant would be nice at a later date but it is USB.

LinuxCNC has a component to control an Automation Direct GS2 VFD via modbus. Does the Hitachi WJ200 VFD take analog 10v to control the speed? The Mesa 7i76 daughter card can control via analog.

I use Solidworks but don't have HMSWorks, I use OneCNC but can't say it is great to work with. I create most of my G code on my Windoze box and right click and "send to" my CNC machines. It's pretty easy to add to the "send to".

I tried Mach a couple of times... that's all I say about that.

If you add an encoder to your spindle you can have rigid tapping. I have kwik switch on my BP and as there is no draw bar the encoder was an easy add on.

JT

WJ200 VFD will take 10v to control the speed. On the OneCNC are you using a common post processor that I should be able to select in other CAM programs?

More
27 Dec 2013 02:33 #42038 by BigJohnT
Well you gain the flexibility of LinuxCNC and with that flexibility you will also get a bit tougher learning curve. I just could not see using a Windoze computer to control a CNC machine. Also you gain rigid tapping and free help and much more! But of course we would say that here... but Mach does do a better job at selling their products and services while we focus on making LinuxCNC better for free.

Mesa also has a pendant card. Just about any pendant can be wired into a 7i76 card and just work for things like MPG, axis select, jogging, jog speed and a whole ton more if you have the switches.

The Generic Fanuc is usually a good place to start if you have to roll your own post processor. Rob may have the HMSWorks post...

JT

More
27 Dec 2013 10:56 #42050 by Duc

Well you gain the flexibility of LinuxCNC and with that flexibility you will also get a bit tougher learning curve. I just could not see using a Windoze computer to control a CNC machine. Also you gain rigid tapping and free help and much more! But of course we would say that here... but Mach does do a better job at selling their products and services while we focus on making LinuxCNC better for free.

Mesa also has a pendant card. Just about any pendant can be wired into a 7i76 card and just work for things like MPG, axis select, jogging, jog speed and a whole ton more if you have the switches.

The Generic Fanuc is usually a good place to start if you have to roll your own post processor. Rob may have the HMSWorks post...

JT

Mesa 5i25/7i76 card has been purchased. Let the fun begin. Many more posts for help should follow in each section of the forum.

Might has well find a encoder for the spindle and make an adapter at work on the lathe.

Thanks for the help

More
27 Dec 2013 11:41 #42051 by subnoize
Replied by subnoize on topic On edge for decision
I had to purchase a copy of Mach3 because LinuxCNC only supports the newer RS274 NGC standard and the European CAM software I have doesn't yet support G93 Inverse Timing. The difference between the two was stark from a usability stand point! I was lost in Mach3 for like a week. As a software developer in my day time job I am truly impressed at just how good LinuxCNC's UI and setup is now that I have played with the alternative. The paid program was just a mess in just about every which way you could hang it. That said, Mach3 does support 4 axis in G94 but I can see why G93 came about. Inverse timing is the better way to handle angular axis timing, no ifs, ands or buts.

I dual boot to get it to work. I have separate drives for each OS. When MadCAM for Rhino supports G93 I will retire Mach3 and Winders. They functioned and worked as advertised but they really run my little dual core Atom very hot and to the very edge performance wise were as LinuxCNC has tons of memory and CPU left over.

Anyways, my worthless pennies on these two packages...

JB

More
27 Dec 2013 11:47 #42052 by Duc

JT

Forgot to ask. Do you have a link to the thread were you added your encoder on the spindle. I've been searching but no dice.

I don't have a kwik switch 200 on the mill but the erikerson 30 setup. Fairly similar for the spindle bar. I was lucky the machine came with extra tooling and a Bison ER32 collect holder does work in the QC30 setup.

More
27 Dec 2013 21:03 #42059 by BigJohnT
I have some photos of the encoder install here.

gnipsel.com/images/bp-knee-mill/

JT

More
28 Dec 2013 07:35 #42086 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic On edge for decision

Forgot to ask. Do you have a link to the thread were you added your encoder on the spindle.

This might be interesting too:

www.pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds