demystify G76 'R' parameter?

More
29 Dec 2013 18:57 #42148 by llrjt100
Does anyone know the formula used internally for the g76 degression parameter 'R' and how it interacts with the compound slide angle 'Q' parameter?

I want to do modified flank infeed with control over the angle and depth of cut each pass and at the moment, it's looking like I'm going to have to use a bunch of G33 lines, each with different depth of cut and x/y start/end positions for the flank infeed - a lot of calculations!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2013 19:37 #42149 by BigJohnT
Sounds like you want to write a Python G code generator for threading so you don't have to do all the calculating.

gnipsel.com/files/g-code-generator/

Do you have all the formulas you need to cut perfect threads? Or is this a quest for longest tool life?

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: llrjt100

More
29 Dec 2013 20:48 - 29 Dec 2013 20:54 #42153 by llrjt100
Thank you - I'll try installing and running the Python code - this will give me ultimate control :-)

I've been looking at Sandvik's calculator which simplifies a lot of the work, but the export to Excel spreadsheet option doesn't appear to generate valid files.

My quest is for the perfect thread for a worm, with constant helix and smooth flanks to achieve very constant speed in a precision instrument.

Sandvik recommend modified flank infeed over radial infeed to avoid judder and give smooth cutting - their calculator doesn't have brass as an option, but the feed table in the pdf catalogue shows 6 passes, with a final 0.07 mm pass - they strongly advise against using spring passes, which surprised me a bit!
Last edit: 29 Dec 2013 20:54 by llrjt100.

More
29 Dec 2013 21:02 #42155 by BigJohnT
A Python script does not need to be "installed". Just copy to a directory and make the file executable. The link is an example of what I did to generate G code for a mill. You could do the same thing for your threading which would be a lot simpler to do.

Here is my tutorials on creating a GUI in Python.

gnipsel.com/glade/index.html

JT

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds