Best linuxcnc version for 3x servo + wj200?

More
30 Dec 2013 23:52 #42199 by green751
Hi, all;

I'm currently running the most recent ubuntu CD install of Linuxcnc, and I'm to the point in my mill rework that I want to control my spindle. I have a Hitachi WJ200 VFD controlling a 5 HP 3 phase motor.

I know that the pre-2.6 tree has a driver for the wj200 in it, is this version ready for hobby use (not production), or should I stick with 2.5 with the classicladder modbus control?

Erik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2013 17:25 #42218 by ArcEye
Hi

Build the master as a RIP install ( will not affect your existing system )
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Instal...ng_LinuxCNC_realtime

and try it.

Not too many people will actually have that hardware, so the developer who wrote it will be glad to have someone else test and report back any glitches

regards

More
31 Dec 2013 22:21 #42224 by green751
Sounds like a plan.

I've been browsing through the git repository, looks like I should use master and graft the wj200 driver onto it?

I also see the unified-build-candidate, is this the branch for the version that will support multiple RT environments?

Erik

More
31 Dec 2013 22:56 #42228 by ArcEye

I know that the pre-2.6 tree has a driver for the wj200 in it,

I just looked in the ubc-3 branches of the master I am running and cannot see it
(Yes they do support rt_preempt, xenomai, posix and rtai )

I've been browsing through the git repository, looks like I should use master and graft the wj200 driver onto it?

Looks like you didn't see it in the master either. Where exactly is the driver code?

If you have a copy of it and ensure the linuxcnc-dev package is installed, you can build it for your current system

regards

More
01 Jan 2014 00:48 #42234 by green751

More
01 Jan 2014 01:17 #42235 by ArcEye
Ok, I have downloaded it and compiled it.

This someones private git repo, nothing to do with the master, except it is a clone of it

The comp file is here (remove the .txt extension)

File Attachment:

File Name: wj200_vfd.comp.txt
File Size:9 KB

I compiled it by running
comp wj200_vfd.comp to produce a .c file

then

gcc -Os -g -I. -I/usr/realtime/include -I. -I/usr/src/linuxcnc-dev-rtai/include -I/usr/include/modbus -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0 \
-mhard-float -DRTAI=3 -fno-fast-math -mieee-fp -fno-unsafe-math-optimizations -DRTAPI -D_GNU_SOURCE -Drealtime \
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0 -D__MODULE__ -I/usr/include/linuxcnc -Wframe-larger-than=2560 -URTAPI -U__MODULE__ -DULAPI -Os \
-o wj200_vfd wj200_vfd.c -Wl,-rpath,/lib -L/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/src/linuxcnc-dev-rtai/lib -llinuxcnchal -llinuxcnc -lmodbus

but you will need to install libmodbus, libmodbus-dev and change the include and lib paths to suit wherever your realtime files are.

If that sends you screaming over the edge in confusion, I could probably build one for 10.04 / 2.5.3 tomorrow

regards
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: green751

More
01 Jan 2014 01:18 #42236 by green751
Thanks, I should be good to go with that.

Depending on how ambitious I feel I may even try to improve the driver a bit :)

Erik

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds