Tool shape not displaying in lathe mode

More
15 Jan 2014 18:46 - 15 Jan 2014 18:50 #42814 by llrjt100
I have 'lathe = 1' in the [DISPLAY] section of my .ini file and 'T1 M6' in my gcode. I've defined tool 1 in the tool table - orientation =6, front angle = 315, back angle = 45.

AXIS is displaying the usual cone, not the custom tool shape as per the documentation:

By including the line

LATHE=1

in the [DISPLAY] section of the ini file, AXIS selects lathe mode. The "Y" axis is not shown in coordinate readouts, the view is changed to show the Z axis extending to the right and the X axis extending towards the bottom of the screen, and several controls (such as those for preset views) are removed.

Pressing "V" zooms out to show the entire file, if one is loaded.

When in lathe mode, the shape of the loaded tool (if any) is shown.

Figure: Lathe Tool Shape

On the AXIS status bar at the bottom of the screen it says 'No Tool'
Last edit: 15 Jan 2014 18:50 by llrjt100.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2014 19:46 #42815 by llrjt100
SOLVED: it wasn't clear in the manual that the hal_manualtoolchange needs to be used - I looked at the sim examples and figured out what to do.

I'm not sure what the procedure is for updating the User Manual, but please can I request an addition to the Lathe User Information section referencing the requirement for hal_manualtoolchange and the configuring of necessary tool change signals to enable lathe tool display?

More
15 Jan 2014 20:15 - 15 Jan 2014 20:15 #42816 by BigJohnT
HAL manual tool change is not required for the Axis GUI Status Bar to show the loaded tool. I just created a config without manual tool change and the tool shows up in the status bar after homing the axes then a T1 M6 in the MDI. I tried both lathe and mill configurations.

JT
Last edit: 15 Jan 2014 20:15 by BigJohnT.

More
15 Jan 2014 21:26 #42822 by andypugh

HAL manual tool change is not required for the Axis GUI Status Bar to show the loaded tool. I just created a config without manual tool change

Does it have the tool-change loopback wired though?

More
15 Jan 2014 21:38 #42823 by BigJohnT
Yep, I just created a config in the Stepconf Wizard and un-selected on screen tool change.

JT

More
15 Jan 2014 22:08 #42824 by andypugh

Yep, I just created a config in the Stepconf Wizard and un-selected on screen tool change.

So, does that have the loop-back or not?

More
15 Jan 2014 22:20 #42827 by BigJohnT
Yep, if you do not select on screen tool change the Stepconf Wizard does the correct thing and creates the loopback.

JT

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds