Kinematics for X C Z

More
22 Jan 2014 06:40 #43068 by IonPenguin
I've been building a machine that’s meant to measure the profile of parts. The odd thing is its has a X, Z & C axis. I built the machine anticipating I can setup LinuxCNC to use this novel axis configuration. I'm perhaps being too naive, but my hope is to use existing G code that we use for a normal commercial CNC that drills holes in the parts, that then I'd like to then measure the profile of the part with this simpler machine. The parts are embossed sheet metal, with holes in them. I'm trying to measure the change in the embossing, not so much the location of the holes. I'm hoping that using a machine with one less axis, namely the Y axis and instead moving the part in the C axis that LinuxCNC can still use the existing G code that works on a normal XYZ layout. Maybe I'm asking too much. But I'm under the impression that LinuxCNC has the potential to program the kinematics that would move the motors to the necessary location for a simple Z axis probe over a C rotation and a X movement.

Looking at the web site & forums I haven't spotted any examples of others setting up such a axis configuration. I'm guessing I'll need to possibly custom configure some setup files to make this work. I hoping maybe someone can point me to any previous setups or can give me an idea of the framework of steps I'll need to do to get the configuration setup in LinuxCNC. Using the search on the LunixCNC.org site for Kinematics, it appears the search engine or link to Google isn’t working?

Thanks for any advice.

Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2014 08:16 #43070 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Kinematics for X C Z
There is nothing abnormal about XZC axes on a trivial kinematics machine and normal G code will work fine. Just note that you have to define the machine as 6 axes in the [TRAJ] section of the ini file to include the C axis. You can start with just about any config and modify the ini to include a C axis.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_co...tml#sub:TRAJ-section

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_config.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: IonPenguin

More
22 Jan 2014 21:35 #43079 by skunkworks
Replied by skunkworks on topic Kinematics for X C Z
I think what the OP'er wants is a xzc machine that takes normal xyz gcode.. That being said - you will need a kinematics setup and I don't know of one. You might want to post on the mailing list.

sam
The following user(s) said Thank You: IonPenguin

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds