Hardware for linuxcnc to control servos

More
16 Feb 2014 03:01 #43886 by vre
Hello!
Iam new to linuxcnc but not to linux.
I want to control in closed loop to linuxcnc 2 dir/step AC servos with 4 inputs / 4 outputs (each one) / ABZ optical rotary encoder 2500ppr as feedback.
Also because these servos are for a lathe i want to get feedback from spindle for threading purposes and control the spindle speed with a vfd to have constant surface speed (0-10v analog control voltage).
What hardware i need to control these servos at full speed (500khz pulses) get feedback from spindle and control the vfd speed ?
Can you suggest me hardware that fits in my needs ?

Because i have already 3 parallel ports can i set temporarily the servos (not at full speed) with parallel ports ?
Iam searching a good linuxcnc tutorial for set up servos with parallel port..

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2014 10:59 #43891 by jmelson

Hello!
Iam new to linuxcnc but not to linux.
I want to control in closed loop to linuxcnc 2 dir/step AC servos with 4 inputs / 4 outputs (each one) / ABZ optical rotary encoder 2500ppr as feedback.
Also because these servos are for a lathe i want to get feedback from spindle for threading purposes and control the spindle speed with a vfd to have constant surface speed (0-10v analog control voltage).
What hardware i need to control these servos at full speed (500khz pulses) get feedback from spindle and control the vfd speed ?
Can you suggest me hardware that fits in my needs ?

Because i have already 3 parallel ports can i set temporarily the servos (not at full speed) with parallel ports ?
Iam searching a good linuxcnc tutorial for set up servos with parallel port..

Thank you

If you really want to use step/dir servo drives, there is the Pico Systems Universal Stepper Controller, as well as some
products from Mesa. See <pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_...ath=4&products_id=30>
for info on that. Pico Systems also has a PWM servo control system, consisting of the PWM controller
and the brushless PWM servo amps. See <pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/index.php?cPath=3>
for those products. This gets away from the concept of steps entirely, and just handles encoder
position and velocity to the servo drives.

Jon

More
16 Feb 2014 18:04 #43896 by vre
thank you for your reply.
I want to close loop in linuxcnc (outer closed loop) not in servo drive (inner closed loop) but parallel port isn't fast enough
for 500khz which are my servo drives so i want a fast hardware to send 500khz dir/step pulse in my servo drives
and read 500khz encoder ABZ servo driver signals for closing loop in linuxcnc.
Because iam confused which card its in my situation ?
This project works ? code.google.com/p/rt-8p8c/
Also because iam totally new exists any good tutorial for servos and linuxcnc (parallel port)?

More
17 Feb 2014 00:59 #43904 by jmelson

thank you for your reply.
I want to close loop in linuxcnc (outer closed loop) not in servo drive (inner closed loop) but parallel port isn't fast enough
for 500khz which are my servo drives so i want a fast hardware to send 500khz dir/step pulse in my servo drives
and read 500khz encoder ABZ servo driver signals for closing loop in linuxcnc.
Because iam confused which card its in my situation ?
This project works ? code.google.com/p/rt-8p8c/
Also because iam totally new exists any good tutorial for servos and linuxcnc (parallel port)?

Sorry, I know nothing about that board, I've never heard of it before.

I know my Universal Stepper controller does work in a mode where the
encoders feed back position info to the board, and the loop is closed
in LinuxCNC. This allows you to tune the servo response with
Halscope and the Calibration menu. We also have the Gecko Interface,
which makes an opto-isolated copy of the encoder signals for the
servo drive. it was designed to be used with Gecko 320 step-servo
drives, but likely could be used with others, too.

Jon

More
02 Jul 2014 18:11 #48383 by vre
How can i config linuxcnc to work servos from parallel port ?
Where can i find an example configuration ?
Also can i use ethercat with linuxcnc in my servos (my servos accept step/dir signals 500khz) ?

thank you.

More
02 Jul 2014 22:34 #48386 by jmelson

Also can i use ethercat with linuxcnc in my servos (my servos accept step/dir signals 500khz) ?

thank you.

If you need 500 KHz step rates, you MUST use hardware assist. If you want to use the
parallel port, you can use the Pico Systems Universal Stepper Controller. While it is
conservatively rated at 300K steps/second, it can actually do 500K, that will just make the
jitter slightly worse in percentage terms. The step clock is 10 MHz, or 100 ns, so that at
500 K steps/second, the resolution is 100 ns out of 2000 ns, or 5%. Since it is a
servo, there would be no possibility of lost steps.

Software step generation through the parallel port will not be able to go much over 50 KHz.

Check out the USC board at
pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_...ath=3&products_id=19

it is attached to the computer through the parallel port, which is used as a communications
channel to send position back to the PC and step rate to the UPC.

The univstep config directory in the LinuxCNC sample configs is specific to this
board.

Jon

More
02 Jul 2014 22:40 #48387 by andypugh

If you look at the sample configurations you should be able to find a config for a servo-controlled etch-a-sketch.
look for the etch-servo config.

I don't think that uses step/dir to control the drive, I think it is PWM, but in theory the only change required is to swap the pwmgens for velocity-controlled stepgens in the HAL file.

More
03 Jul 2014 03:36 #48392 by vre
Other option than pico system exists ?
For example a solution with ethernet port or something from mesa electronics ?

More
03 Jul 2014 03:54 #48394 by andypugh

Other option than pico system exists ?
For example a solution with ethernet port or something from mesa electronics ?

Yes, though the Mesa card which has an ethernet connection is only supported by an experimental version of LinuxCNC.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Mesa7i..._Linuxcnc_On_Xenomai
Something for the mildly-brave.
I have made it work:

But not on a machine.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds