Using Linuxcnc on a Coordinate measuring machine

More
05 Mar 2014 02:32 #44402 by LAIR82
Hello All,

I see a few random posts about this but no replies,

We are wondering if it is possible to use LinuxCNC integrated into a coordinate measuring machine. We are thinking about building one but, are not sure if we could use linux to generate to generate a part profile. I have viewed/read the info on the touch probe, but it looks like it is being used as an nc program that generates a large file of data that needs to be calculated out with other software (not a big issue) to generate the profile, we are thinking of just a plain old manually controlled machine that would go in our office that would be capable of measuring say a 24" x 24" 48" cube.

Any thoughts or recommendations

Thanks

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2014 03:54 #44408 by andypugh

We are wondering if it is possible to use LinuxCNC integrated into a coordinate measuring machine.

Yes but it seems a little unnecessary. Most CMMs will come with a controller and software (or were you planning to build from scratch?)

www.ebay.com/itm/Faro-Arm-Gold-Series-G0...&hash=item23366bda69

More
05 Mar 2014 03:58 #44410 by LAIR82
We were thinking of building from scratch, going with a gantry style setup, with encoder feedback through mesa components.

Rick

More
30 May 2014 21:21 #47551 by stustev

We are wondering if it is possible to use LinuxCNC integrated into a coordinate measuring machine.

Yes but it seems a little unnecessary. Most CMMs will come with a controller and software (or were you planning to build from scratch?)

www.ebay.com/itm/Faro-Arm-Gold-Series-G0...&hash=item23366bda69

Uh yeah - most CNC machines come with a controller and software but I replaced mine anyway. B)

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds