Using 2 servo or spindle motors in tandem?

More
09 May 2014 17:29 #46753 by greeder88
Before I ask my question I have to say this LinuxCNC stuff is more fun than golf. And I love golf. :)

Is there a way to tandem up on either servo motors or encoder driven VFD's?
One practical use of a tandem spindle motor setup is to use one motor for small cutters which is most of my cutting.
Engage the second motor(Now Dual Motors and Drives) for larger cutters which I rarely use.
The appeal is that large motors and drives are very expensive and small ones very cheap. Also maybe use a little less energy.

I read in my searching that if you rigid connect two servo motors they will burn up fast due to the small differences between the two fighting each other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2014 06:28 #46851 by andypugh

I read in my searching that if you rigid connect two servo motors they will burn up fast due to the small differences between the two fighting each other.

Yes, you would want to stop them fighting each other. You could probably do that by being careful with the PID terms (allow almost no slowing-down authority).
However, a simpler solution might be to just feed both motors with the same duty-cycle, so only one is actively controlled. If the motors aren't an exact match then scale accordingly.

It would be more difficult to do either of the above if the motors/drives have internal control loops, but even then you can probably find suitable tuning for the parameters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds