stream RS232 data over UDP network using term?

More
26 May 2014 00:17 #47314 by scubasteve1
I have some measuring devices that stream data via their controllers rs232 port, I would really like to connect the controller to a raspberry pi via rs232 and stream that data over UDP to a "listener" computer and be able to view data frm there. Stringing rs232 cable isn't realy an option, and this seems like a pretty cool way to stream serial data cheaply, for data collection purposes.

Could someone help me come up with a script to run fom a terminal to stream serial strings from a com port to UDP over the ethernet port?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2014 22:16 #47402 by green751
You might want to look at this:

sourceforge.net/projects/ser2net/

.. it's a serial to network proxy that lets you make serial ports on a machine available to TCP connections.

If you get it running on the Rpi, it should let you connect to a network port from your linux box and read the serial port data.

FYI, there are a lot of devices that do this nowadays, because it used to be standard for console ports on servers to be serial based, and it was nice to network connect them. Also, it's still used for converting RS-422 or RS-485 to TCP networking. Example device:

www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-Serial-to-Etherne...&hash=item5aff5e4a25

This is actually cheaper than an rpi. I guess if you have a spare Pi board already, why not?

Erik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds