How to convert Sim to real run

More
27 May 2014 05:50 #47370 by HammerLight
Hi, I have been running 2.5 on my 4 axis gantry machine for a while. Just started a new build of a 4 axis foam machine. I got a hand edited version mostly working on 2.5 and then read that 2.6 has a sim ini file and proper preview so I loaded that on my new machine. I have it working great in sim mode. The question is how do I convert my sim 4 axis foam cutter wo a real running 4 axis foam cutter? It looks like the .hal file is sim only and no actual pins. Do I need to hannd jam all my pin connections inplace of the sim connection in the .hal file? Is that all? How about the .stepconf? Is there an easier way to convert a sim setup to a runner? The Sim thing is nice but when it comes time to turn that setup into a real running machine I'm not sure how to proceed. Thanks Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2014 17:47 #47391 by andypugh
You probably just need to look at the foam sim to see which INI options are foam-specific and then add them to a suitable non-sim config.

I think it is just
GEOMETRY = XY;UV
FOAM = 1
in the [DISPLAY] section of the INI file.
You would need a valid XY/UV config, which for historical reasons would need to be an 8-axis config with ZABC simply not used.

More
28 May 2014 08:05 #47429 by HammerLight
I may not understand it correctly but the .hal file is setup to loop all nets back to motion module feedback instead of using real pins. I tried replacing that in the simulator hal file and nothing works.

Surely there are some basic instructions for how to convert a simulator setup over to a real running stepper system.

More
28 May 2014 18:16 #47449 by andypugh

I may not understand it correctly but the .hal file is setup to loop all nets back to motion module feedback instead of using real pins. I tried replacing that in the simulator hal file and nothing works.

What did you actually change?

You need to net signame axis.N.motor-pos-cmd stepgen.N.position-cmd and net signame2 axis.N.motor-pos-fb stepgen.N.position-fb and HAL should be happy.
You do need to then set up the stepgen with scale and enable, and set the accel and velocity limits. You can copy that format from a working config.

But it is probably easier to change a working config to be similar than the sim than the other way round.

More
29 May 2014 09:22 - 29 May 2014 09:22 #47493 by HammerLight
So and just modified an existing (working) config that I created origiinally with StepGen. That's the same waay I got thee first one working annd after seeing your post I figured yes that was easiest.

I have done it four times and everything seems to be workiing except the U and V axes do not move and I get a "joint 6 followinng error" and "joint 7 following error"

I copied the following from the working sim ini file:

GEOMETRY = XY;UV
FOAM = 1
AXES = 9
COORDINATES = XYUV

And put 9 [AXES_x] sections with appropriate sections

I changed the z and a net settings to u and v in the hal file and I have 4 a [AXIS_x] sections with x, y ,u and v.

The x and y axes follow the GCode but the u and v axes do not move and I end up with the "following error"

I have started from scratch 4 times and end up the same way every time. Any ideas?
Last edit: 29 May 2014 09:22 by HammerLight.

More
29 May 2014 09:39 - 29 May 2014 09:40 #47495 by HammerLight
GOT IT!

I found a forum post about the following error

"on your hal file change stepgen 2

net upos-cmd axis.6.motor-pos-cmd => stepgen.2.position-cmd
net upos-fb stepgen.2.position-fb => axis.6.motor-pos-fb

and stepgen 3
net vpos-cmd axis.7.motor-pos-cmd => stepgen.3.position-cmd
net vpos-fb stepgen.3.position-fb => axis.7.motor-pos-fb"

That did the trick. It seems to be workiing correctly now.

I get my controller board iin the next couple of days and I'll see if the motors drive the way they should.

Thanks for the help.
Last edit: 29 May 2014 09:40 by HammerLight.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds