Random Stops Mid-Program

More
11 Jun 2014 02:30 #47859 by ddmotim
Hello All,
I've been really struggling with my machine recently. Currently it will randomly stop running in the middle of a program, as if the E-stop was hit. My breakout board has optoisolators, and I was having some trouble a while back where the limit switches would trip falsely. It seemed like the cause of that problem was excessive noise on my input circuits. I fixed that with capacitors across the inputs, and by setting up debounce. Now it seems like I'm having the same issue, but with the external E-stop circuit. I have a capacitor across the e-stop input too, but it is still tripping. What else should I look for? I watched the Hal monitor and tried to catch the e-stop tripping, but it must be too quick.

My question is, how much debounce is too much? I have the delay set at 100 currently, and it is better than it was at 20 and 50. Will going much higher affect anything else? Also, does anyone have any other suggestions on what might be the problem? Maybe it's not the input circuit at all... I'm only assuming it is because my machine was running great until I started having issues with the optoisolators.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2014 03:13 #47861 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Random Stops Mid-Program
That is one of the problems with 5VDC (although I do not know your machine, I suspect that you are using 5VDC for the logic).
If you use one of the Mesa boards (or others, I speak about mesa because I use them), you can go to 24VDC that is more industry standard, and much more noise immune.
I had similar problems with a VFD, that using a scope, reveled that simply the noise was too much for 5VDC. I tried all that I could, shielded cable, large distance from VFD ...

More
11 Jun 2014 04:11 #47863 by ddmotim
Replied by ddmotim on topic Random Stops Mid-Program
Thanks for the response. Yes, the input signals use 5VDC, though my board does run on 24VDC. I will see if there is a way to use the 24V for those signals.

More
11 Jun 2014 14:56 #47878 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Random Stops Mid-Program
Hi

In the past I have had similar problems on a machine with a 'dirty' DC motor, tripping the limit switches, just through noise.
No amount of shielding and grounding could prevent random halts.

I resolved it by powering the limits through a 12v walmart PSU, using that to energise a small 12v relay which held the 5v logic circuit closed

Worked and continues to work perfectly to this day.

Possibly consider a seperate power source too, to completely isolate from the rest of your system

regards

More
12 Jun 2014 03:57 - 12 Jun 2014 03:58 #47921 by ddmotim
Replied by ddmotim on topic Random Stops Mid-Program
I think I've got this temporarily fixed. I had my external e-stop running through a second set of limit switches (extra safety in case the first set somehow failed. I cut those out of the circuit, so it goes straight to the E-stop button and back, and it seems to have reduced the noise on the signal significantly. I've had the machine running all day without issue.
Thanks for the tip - if I feel the need to put these switches back in, maybe I'll run them with a 24V relay. This seems to be working for now, though.
Thanks!
Last edit: 12 Jun 2014 03:58 by ddmotim.

More
12 Jun 2014 21:58 #47944 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Random Stops Mid-Program

I have the delay set at 100 currently, and it is better than it was at 20 and 50. Will going much higher affect anything else?

Which thread is the debounce running in? That is a delay of 0.1s in the servo thread. That's getting to the point of a perceptible delay.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds