halsampler source code

More
25 Jun 2014 16:40 #48240 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic halsampler source code

So now the question is: Where do I put the newly-compiled files so their new functionality will work with my regular install?.

If you used comp --install then it is already there. Did you use "comp"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: southbayguy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2014 22:55 - 25 Jun 2014 22:56 #48242 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic halsampler source code

So now the question is: Where do I put the newly-compiled files so their new functionality will work with my regular install?.

If you used comp --install then it is already there. Did you use "comp"?

Yeah,

I deliberately told you to use comp --compile xxxxxxxxxxxx, so that you could check all built OK and to prevent it clobbering your existing files by overwriting them before you could save them.

The userspace component will be in /usr/bin in a system install

The kernel module will be in /usr/realtime-xxxxx/modules/linuxcnc

Once you have saved the old ones, you can build with

comp --install sampler.c
comp --userspace --install sampler_usr.c

and they will be copied to those locations

regards
Last edit: 25 Jun 2014 22:56 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southbayguy

More
26 Jun 2014 09:24 #48250 by southbayguy
Replied by southbayguy on topic halsampler source code
Truth is, I didn't use comp.
I didn't know what you meant by "install linuxcnc-dev." I had already installed linuxcnc-dev. I had the whole linuxcnc-dev directory and its subdirectories. After several swings and misses (and much help from the forum), I had done a successful compile and run-in-place back in April.
So I felt I had already installed linuxcnc-dev. I didn't understand why I was getting errors with "comp" if the development directory was in place and apparently working.
I tried "install linuxcnc-dev" anyway and "apt-get install linuxcnc-dev" but neither of those was successful, so I figured you didn't mean a specific package called linuxcnc-dev but in general a directory called linuxcnc-dev with the appropriate contents ... which I had already done.
I would have liked to use comp, but I couldn't figure out what to try next.

So ... I tried something else.
I made the tweak to sampler_usr.c and then from /linuxcnc-dev/src did "make". Against all odds, the makefile identified the one changed source file, compiled and linked it.

More
26 Jun 2014 12:53 #48251 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic halsampler source code
That explains the files you said you had in your directory.

You will probably have to build the whole RIP, if you want to continue that way, just building the submakefile will not produce the finished module and binary.

You have done part of what I was going to suggest initially, but I thought comp would be simpler :laugh:

regards

More
26 Jun 2014 19:09 #48255 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic halsampler source code

I had done a successful compile and run-in-place back in April.
So I felt I had already installed linuxcnc-dev. I didn't understand why I was getting errors with "comp" if the development directory was in place and apparently working.

I think you need to do the . ./scripts/rip-environment thing so that the system knows where to look for "comp" on a RIP system.
(and then the new comp will end up in your RIP tree, and unless you do . ./scripts/rip-environment you will be running old-linuxCNC and/or old sampler.c

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds