Linuxcnc pwm spindle control

More
22 Jun 2014 09:19 #48174 by kayej
Newbie time: Here is the setup and I need help to configure Linuxcnc (2.5.4) to control my Zen Toolworks spindle motor. Running a Gecko G540 controller into a Zen Toolworks CNC. Specs on spindle motor indicate PWM input requirements 3.5-12VPP. Using a RioRand motor speed controller that has a PWM input and it is powered by a separate 48V power supply that has been lowered to 36V. Got everything else working great but could use some help with the Linuxcnc config. Currently just controlling the spindle by turning the power supply on and off, Thanks in advance. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2014 18:59 #48198 by andypugh

Specs on spindle motor indicate PWM input requirements 3.5-12VPP

How did you get your config? If you originally used stepconf, and you haven't manually edited the HAL, then you can just use Stepconf to add the spindle control.
If you got the config some other way then it might even already have a PWM output on one of the parport pins, which you just haven't found.

Can you attach your HAL file to a message so that we can have a look to see what is currently already there?

More
24 Jun 2014 01:48 #48205 by kayej
Replied by kayej on topic Linuxcnc pwm spindle control
I couldn't find spindle control in the stepconfig until I enabled pin 14. Now I have to figure out how to config my G540. Pin 14 (input) on G540 is VFD PWM (50HZ). Also on the G540 main terminal block (output) it has 3 outputs labled VFD Ground, VFD Output and VFD +10VDC. The spindle motor controller only has two inputs for PWM control,,,, so any idea how do I hook that up?? Also linuxcnc had a "spindle on" selection and wondering how or if I need that also. Not sure if you are familiar with the
Gecko G540 but I really appreciate the help so far.

More
24 Jun 2014 02:19 #48207 by andypugh

I couldn't find spindle control in the stepconfig until I enabled pin 14. Now I have to figure out how to config my G540. Pin 14 (input) on G540 is VFD PWM (50HZ). Also on the G540 main terminal block (output) it has 3 outputs labled VFD Ground, VFD Output and VFD +10VDC. The spindle motor controller only has two inputs for PWM control,,,, so any idea how do I hook that up?? Also linuxcnc had a "spindle on" selection and wondering how or if I need that also.

Well...

If the VFD _needs_ PWM input and can't take 0-10V command then you can't use the G540 output.
However, I have never found a VFD that can't take an external pot for speed control, and the three terminals on the G540 are intended to connect to the three terminals on the VFD where a speed pot would go.
If you can, simply use that and ignore the VFD PWM input.

You probably also want to connect a G540 general-purpose output as a spindle-on signal, connected to the VFD "start" button.

More
24 Jun 2014 02:35 #48208 by kayej
Replied by kayej on topic Linuxcnc pwm spindle control
Great stuff......thanks for the quick reply...I will give it a try.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds