Change Y axis "Home" screen display

More
05 Sep 2014 08:39 - 05 Sep 2014 08:42 #50792 by Dave H
I have a home built 3 axis moving table CNC vertical mill. I have Homing and Over travel switches on the X and Y axes. (Z is coming) Home is in the left rear corner, where I want it. (Meaning X is all the way left, and Y table is all the way forward) When I Home the X axis, with the display showing actual machine position, the X coordinate shown is 0.0000. When I Home the Y axis, the Y coordinate shown is 10.0000.

What do I need to change to get the display for Y Home to read 0.0000?
I played with the .ini file, but couldn't get it to work.

Both axes have been inverted in the .ini file due to a change of motor location from the original machine.
I searched for this and didn't come across anything of use.

Thanks!

Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place.... :(
Last edit: 05 Sep 2014 08:42 by Dave H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2014 10:09 #50795 by Todd Zuercher
in your ini file you will need to change the HOME_OFFSET = ??? for the Y axis to what ever it needs to be to make your Y home position what you would like it to be. (If it is currently 0.0 you will probably need to change it to -10.0)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave H

More
05 Sep 2014 18:28 #50802 by BigJohnT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave H

More
06 Sep 2014 08:04 #50826 by Dave H
So, with your help I got my Y axis to read 0.000 when homed. And Home is in the back left corner of the material. Meaning the table is in the forward position. Which is where I have been taught "Home" belongs. A remaining problem I can't figure out is when the table (Y axis) moves away from me, I expect to see positive increasing numbers on the DRO. But they are going negative.

Is there a simple way to change this?

X axis going left to right is positive. Z axis going up is positive. Just the Y seems backwards.

Also, while I'm here, if I do my first test cuts and find out the X axis and Y axes are skewed in the horizontal plane, is there a simple way to adjust for that via the config files? Or is hardware adjustment the only way?

Been reading the manuals, but much of this is very confusing to me. At least so far.

More
06 Sep 2014 09:45 #50827 by Todd Zuercher
Ordinarily on a moving table like I believe you are describing. X=0, Y=0 would be when the spindle is over the front left corner (table all the way back and to the right.)

Really all this is kind of moot, since the actual machine coordinates don't really mean squat. What really matters is what you zero your work coordinates to (G54, G55,...) Most of the big industrial machines I use at work (Fanuc controls...) the machine home zero positions have little if anything to do with the table and most of them have the entire machines range of travel in the negative directions from that point.

More
06 Sep 2014 10:01 - 06 Sep 2014 10:02 #50829 by Dave H
You're probably right about this being a moot point, but my many years of Machine Design taught me to Datum dimension from the upper left of a drawing so no negative numbers had to be entered into the machine. Shows you how far back I go. And I go back a lot further than that!

Probably just being anal, but would like a positive move to read positive numbers. The other axes do. Unless I am just out to lunch......

Any ideas of how to adjust for horizontal axis skew? If I need it?
Last edit: 06 Sep 2014 10:02 by Dave H.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds