Changing the Tool Database/table

More
22 Sep 2014 22:22 #51433 by Stuart Covey
Hey Guys,
I'm new here. I just received my Probotix Asteroid router and I am getting it set up. I have already done a couple projects on it and I have found LinuxCNC to be great. But I have a question. How do I change the tool database/table? I know you usually do that in the program that generates your g-code and I have done that, but linuxcnc does not seem to accept any tools numbered above 5. I have about 20 tools and I would like to have them all numbered differently. Is there a way to change this?
I tried to use a tool that I numbered 9 and it says "Requested tool 9 not found in tool table".

Thanks,
Stuart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2014 23:03 #51434 by BigJohnT
To use a tool it has to be in your tool table. If your using Axis select Edit Tool Table to add more tools.

JT

More
22 Sep 2014 23:36 #51438 by Stuart Covey
Is there something I have to do for that to work? I found that but when I click on it it does not do anything.

More
23 Sep 2014 00:37 #51442 by cncbasher
you can just edit the table directly using a text editor if that makes it easier for you

More
23 Sep 2014 00:44 #51443 by Stuart Covey

you can just edit the table directly using a text editor if that makes it easier for you

Ok, how do I do that? It's on an Ubuntu operating system which I'm not very familiar with.

More
23 Sep 2014 00:57 #51445 by cncbasher
the tool table is held in your config directory , use gedit and go to ~/home/<name>/linuxcnc/configs/<configname>/tool.tbl
you want to add one tool more than you use and if your using a cam program , make all the entrys 0 or just blank tool numbers
then use the cam program tooltable , it saves having to keep track of 2 tables
and if anything use the tool table just for wear offsets , although i prefer to use just the cam application

More
23 Sep 2014 01:02 #51446 by Stuart Covey

the tool table is held in your config directory , use gedit and go to ~/home/<name>/linuxcnc/configs/<configname>/tool.tbl
you want to add one tool more than you use and if your using a cam program , make all the entrys 0 or just blank tool numbers
then use the cam program tooltable , it saves having to keep track of 2 tables
and if anything use the tool table just for wear offsets , although i prefer to use just the cam application

Ok, so I do not have to have the correct tool numbers applied? Just the correct number of tool entries?

More
23 Sep 2014 01:27 - 23 Sep 2014 01:30 #51449 by cncbasher
yes correct
just make each line
T0;
T1;
T2;
T3;
etc
and make it one tool or 2 more than you have in your cam program
Last edit: 23 Sep 2014 01:30 by cncbasher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stuart Covey

More
23 Sep 2014 06:28 #51462 by andypugh

Is there something I have to do for that to work? I found that but when I click on it it does not do anything.

There was a bug with the way that Axis called up the tool table editor. You could edit the table until you had run a program, but not afterwards.

I _think_ this is now fixed. Which version are you running?

More
23 Sep 2014 07:52 #51467 by Stuart Covey

There was a bug with the way that Axis called up the tool table editor. You could edit the table until you had run a program, but not afterwards.

I _think_ this is now fixed. Which version are you running?

I'm running AXIS 2.5 modified by Probotix.

I was able to go into the file and add them. Thanks for your help!

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds