Latency Help

More
05 Nov 2014 08:38 #52789 by jorsborn
Latency Help was created by jorsborn
I have a problem with latency. I am running an ASUS m45-1 Deluxe with AMD processor, 4G RAM and a 32G SSD. I am utilizing the only PCI slot for a parallel port and so I am using the onboard ATI Radeon video. I've disabled all power saving options in the BIOS as well as all unused peripherals (sound, USB3.0, etc.). I have pretty much disabled everything. However, my latency/jitter figures are around 100,000ns which I feel is quite high for this setup. I've read about many other similar setups achieving 1/3 to 1/10 this value.

I've been reading the many wiki entries and forum posts on this subject and have tried a number of them to fix my jitter issue. The one I seem to have the most difficulty with is the boot parameters. I've implemented the boot parameters through adding 07_rtai to /etc/grub.d and that didn't seem to work. As I understand it, by setting isolcpus=1 for my dual core processor, I should restrict all processes to 1 cpu. However, examining dmesg and even looking at the output of top, I see that it's utilizing both CPUs. Am I misunderstanding? I have also tried boot parameters by editing the GRUB config file. That yields the same result. Any thoughts on how I can confirm that the boot parameters are being interpreted?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2014 09:35 #52792 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Latency Help
you can see the booted kernel command line by typing:
cat /proc/cmdline

More
05 Nov 2014 10:36 #52793 by jorsborn
Replied by jorsborn on topic Latency Help
Thanks! Indeed that shows that my isolcpus=1 parameter is not present and I now realize why. I forgot to run update-grub though I wouldn't expect to have to do that for the method outlined in the wiki article (07_rtai). Regardless, now that I have the parameters correct, things are looking a lot better. My jitter is now in the 15,000 ns range. I'll let this run for a good bit of time before I declare victory but thanks for the help!

More
05 Nov 2014 15:27 - 05 Nov 2014 15:28 #52798 by blacksheep
Replied by blacksheep on topic Latency Help
Check your Bios again if it has an option "Patch AMD TLB Erratum". Ensure that it is ENABLED. This provided me roundabout -14.000 counters for the max_jitter (from ~22.000 down to ~8.000).

Regards
Michael
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 15:28 by blacksheep.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds