new user help please

More
06 Dec 2014 00:21 #53720 by mlieder
new user help please was created by mlieder
Hi Everyone,

Didn't know where to post this. If I'm in the wrong place, I apologize. Long time mac user first time linux user. I had and old dell laptop and I really dont like windows and decided to try linux cnc. I have the parts to build a cnc, just need the software now - so I tried linux cnc. unfortunately it didn't work. Got linux to load off a usb, but unfortunately the cnc software part got errors. Now that I did this I cant try it again because I erased the usb to try again and the image from my mac doesn't work - and I dont have a windows machine to burn the iso image to a usb. I love my mac but in a few instances it would be nice to have a windows machine too (just for downloading).

My question is this: Do you know any way that I can use a mac to transfer an bootable iso to a usb? Or is someone willing to send me a usb already done, I would of course make it worth your while.

Obviously, the first option would be preferred, but at this point I am open to suggestions - just please dont send me back to the windows world

Thanks for your reply

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2014 01:25 #53725 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic new user help please
Hi

I have no knowledge of Mac, but it seems it has dd so you can just do this, except use the Linuxcnc debian.hybrid.iso instead of the stock debian one

okomestudio.net/biboroku/?p=1986

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlieder

More
06 Dec 2014 02:46 #53732 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic new user help please

I love my mac but in a few instances it would be nice to have a windows machine too (just for downloading).

Don't worry too much, Mac and Linux get on very well together. (I only have Mac and Linux myself).

Underneath the pretty GUI the Mac is a Unix machine, and very nearly all the commands that work in Linux work just the same in the Mac Terminal.

Try the instructions here. apple.stackexchange.com/questions/153942...sb-linux-for-mac-how
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlieder

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds