New to LinuxCNC- Need Help!

More
07 Dec 2014 07:54 #53777 by mmedina1976
Just finished building my CNC, and trying to find software that will work well with it. Have a few questions...
1. Can I load LinuxCNC on a Linux Mint OS 15 system?
2. If not, do I need to change it to Ubuntu first, then Linux OS? Not sure which comes first.

Any help you can give me would be highly appreciated.
mmedina1976

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2014 15:30 #53782 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic New to LinuxCNC- Need Help!
Hi

Just create a new partition and download the debian based iso, burn to DVD and install on that partition.

The bundling of linuxcnc with a complete distro is specifically to enable newcomers and those without a lot of linux system knowledge to get up and running quickly and easily.

If you want to try building your own rtai kernel, realtime and building linuxcnc against it later on mint, you can do, but it is not a good place to start.

regards

More
07 Dec 2014 18:10 #53784 by andypugh

Just finished building my CNC, and trying to find software that will work well with it.

Is this a stepper-motor based system with a parallel port interface? If so then LinuxCNC can drive it.
LinuxCNC can also drive a very wide range of other (better) interfaces than the parallel port, but there are also some things that it can't drive, most notably USB interfaces such as SmoothStepper.

The list of supported hardware is here: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_Supported_Hardware
But if you just have a parallel port then that is of purely academic interest.

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds