SUPER N00B–Mini Lathe CNC conversion

More
02 Jan 2015 01:12 #54467 by SmokeWalker
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I have to ask several questions:

I am interested in doing a CNC conversion of my Harbor Freight mini lathe using these plans:
stirlingsteele.com/mini-lathe-cnc-conversion-plans.html

I want to learn to write my own G code and use LinuxCNC to run the programs.

I would also like to buy an inexpensive (laptop for space </= 300 if I can manage it. $200 is better) computer to operate this.

I like the Chromebook, for example, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Also, I have never used Linux before, but I've always been curious, and between the two biggest CNC software choices, Linux or Mach3, I like the idea of using Linux better.

1. What computer would you suggest?
2. What mechanical parts/pieces do I need to allow said computer to talk to machine's motors? What are those called?
3. Will the below "Download Information" install properly?
4. Also, will it change my OS to Debian or will I be still using the Chrome software. I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between Chrome and Linux if it's easy to do so, but it's not a big deal at all if not. This computer will primarily be used to write g code and run it on the machine.

Cribbed from website.

Download Information

LinuxCNC 2.6

The easiest way to make a fresh install of LinuxCNC 2.6 is to use the Debian Wheezy LinuxCNC image. The Debian image is a "hybrid" iso, which means you can use the same iso file for a USB stick or a DVD. The ISO contains a kernel bug fix for some motherboards and the USB port. LinuxCNC 2.6.4 is the version on the ISO. Normally to upgrade you do not download a new ISO but in this special case the kernel was patched so USB would work from the install on the affected motherboards.

Download the ISO
Burn the ISO to a DVD
Check the MD5SUM b515c872335336ccfc96471d66b687d8
Boot with the DVD and test or install.
How to write the ISO to a USB Drive
Updating from 2.5 and other install options

Again, I hope someone can help this baby bird learn to fly!

Pierre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2015 18:25 #54520 by ArcEye
Hi

I would also like to buy an inexpensive (laptop for space </= 300 if I can manage it. $200 is better) computer to operate this.
I like the Chromebook, for example, but I'm open to any suggestions.

If you want to use a Chromebook and proprietary CNC software like the video, then do that.

If you want to use Linuxcnc, do not buy a laptop, especially a Chromebook.

Chromebook is Google's latest attempt to take an open-source OS and make lots of money from it, by turning it into a proprietary system completely tied to their own products.
It is based upon Linux, but is not Linux any more than Android is.

You need either a computer with a parallel port or one with expansion space to take an I/O and driver card
Linuxcnc will not work from a USB connector, which is what the one in the video does.

You can buy an ex corporate small footprint desktop for £50 on ebay that is perfectly good.
The space argument is spurious.

As for the rest, I suggest you start reading :laugh:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/common/user_intro.html

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: SmokeWalker

More
04 Jan 2015 08:32 #54533 by SmokeWalker
Do you have any other places where I might start my self-education?

I found this:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/common/userforeword.html

More
04 Jan 2015 18:42 #54544 by ArcEye
Just go up one directory and start at the root of the docs

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/

If you want a vanilla overview of CNC, there will be other sources on the net, but the group under 'General User Information' covers the basics

regards

More
06 Jan 2015 08:21 #54634 by andypugh

I am interested in doing a CNC conversion of my Harbor Freight mini lathe using these plans:
stirlingsteele.com/mini-lathe-cnc-conversion-plans.html

Just be aware that when you have finished you will still have a mini-lathe.
I converted a 9x20 Chinese lathe, and I often wish I had started with a better base machine.

More
06 Jan 2015 09:00 #54636 by SmokeWalker
I haven't forgotten what lathe I have!
For what I need it for, the size and capabilities of my lathe are highly adequate.
I use the lathe to cut pretty much everything else except metal: hard rubber, wood and plastics almost exclusively. I had a 7x10 that I converted to 7x14 with a bed extension. With doodads of my own design, I've been able to crank out some pretty nice stuff. Now, I'm just looking to maybe automate the process some.

Can you help me decide on what computer to get? I gather I need a parallel port. But the word latency keeps getting kicked around, and I'm stumped as to where to go/what to do. I wish there were a CNC conversion SOP or kit or something.

More
06 Jan 2015 14:39 #54643 by SmokeWalker
Why a desktop over a laptop?

I found this:

www.ebay.com/itm/Tangent-CL51-15-Laptop-...&hash=item43d573c36c

It comes with a parallel port and the price is right.

It comes with no OS, so if I wanted to go this route, what might my steps be?
I'm hoping to get the software, and practice writing some test Gcode before I get my hardware. What do you think?

More
06 Jan 2015 15:52 #54644 by ArcEye

Why a desktop over a laptop?

Because laptops have a layer of extra interrupts that solely deal with power monitoring and power saving, because they run on batteries.

The result is checking of the battery level when you want it to immediately respond to a command in the middle of a fast traverse for instance.

That is what the latency issue is about

There are tables of tested machines and their latency results here
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Latency-Test

regards

More
06 Jan 2015 19:48 #54651 by ArcEye
This is not a recommendation, just a for instance at $49

www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-360-Intel...&hash=item1c4b6ca21d

There is another one at £29, if you ignore the fact the case says 330 and it is listed as 360!

The ones I would use, Fujitsu Siemens, are not readily available in US.

In the same way as far fewer Dells are available here, they had a direct selling strategy over here for a while and a terrible reputation to go with it and bombed.

regards

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds