Screen (AXIS) Frozen while Running

More
02 Jan 2015 11:16 #54481 by Askjerry
I'm running a job... 14 passes to get it done... about an hour to cut.

I'm 35 or 40 minutes into it... and I look at the screen... it is FROZEN.

The machine is still running... still cutting properly... but out of 14 passes... the screen stopped at pass #4.

???? Huh?

I hit "P" to pause... nothing.

Mouse doesn't move... like it is totally locked up. At this point... the only way to stop it would be to turn off the computer aparently. Ever happen to anyone else???

I'm going to let it finish... if it can run the remaining 10 minutes or so... the part will be done... then I'll reset the computer.

ODD!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2015 12:24 #54482 by Askjerry
The job finished fine... I shut the PC down and rebooted it... normal functionalty now.

The only thing I can think of is something to do with the screensaver timing? I made some changes... hopefully it doesn't do that again... I didn't like not being able to hit the E-STOP or change the feed rate.

I mean yeah... I have a secondary kill switch on the rotary inverter and Geckodrive power suply... but wow.

More
02 Jan 2015 21:43 - 02 Jan 2015 21:44 #54490 by PCW
If this happens again, I would suggest _not_ immediately rebooting but rather opening a terminal window
and running at least dmesg to see if there are any clues to what happened.

If your KB and mouse are not working in X, sometimes you can get an alternate console to work (control-alt-F1)
If this doesn't work, you can try a remote login.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2015 21:44 by PCW.

More
02 Jan 2015 21:46 #54491 by Todd Zuercher
Looks like you answered the argument for adding hard E-stop buttons.

More
03 Jan 2015 01:00 #54500 by cncbasher

The job finished fine... I shut the PC down and rebooted it... normal functionalty now.

The only thing I can think of is something to do with the screensaver timing? I made some changes... hopefully it doesn't do that again... I didn't like not being able to hit the E-STOP or change the feed rate.

I mean yeah... I have a secondary kill switch on the rotary inverter and Geckodrive power suply... but wow.

at least it finished the work , which is more than a windows machine would have done ..
check your graphics card.( perhaps overheating if a long job ) for instance

More
03 Jan 2015 02:43 #54504 by Askjerry
Oh yeah... putting them in this week. Can you imagine the Z-Axis heading for the table and NO Stop???

At least I have an ON/OFF switch for the Geckodrive power... I'll loose my homing... but save the piece and the machine!

More
03 Jan 2015 04:11 #54510 by newbynobi
And please :

set up sensors and take a look at the values.
It helps me to find out, that my VGA Card did reach to high temperatures resulting in freesing the PC!

Norbert

More
03 Jan 2015 04:34 #54511 by Askjerry
It wasn't the video card... no response to the keyboard, no mouse. Like if you hit "P" it is a keyboard shortcut for PAUSE... but nothing... it just kept running. Like the core program was running... but nothing else. It continued for 10 minutes, the G-Code finished, and the machine stopped, mist coolant shut off... everything was fine... I just could NOT do anything to influence the machine except hod the power button until it turned off.

It was like there were two computers... one running the mill... and one running the human interface... and the human interface just went away... nobody home...

More
06 Jan 2015 08:08 #54630 by andypugh

It was like there were two computers... one running the mill... and one running the human interface..

That is pretty much exactly what you get with the real-time kernel.

If you had feed-override knobs connected to HAL via encoders then they would carry on working too. But the GUI version wouldn't work (as you found out).

It is hard to say what the problem is, it might be the graphics drivers. If it happens again then you can try running with an alternative GUI with no graphical preview and see if that avoids the problem, purely as an experimental step.

More
06 Jan 2015 08:19 #54633 by Askjerry
Hasn't happened again... I'm thinking I made some screensaver change that goobered it up. I set it differently now.

Time will tell eh?

Jerry

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds