Axis changes direction randomly

More
13 Jan 2015 10:54 #54959 by steve85
Hey all,

I've recently installed LinuxCNC to run my DIY 3-axis router through a HobbyCNC EZ Driver board. I use CamBam to generate G code for 2.5D sheet cutting, and have run into a problem while executing G codes. Occasionally (once or twice in a 500 line G code) the router will start to move for a short distance in the opposite direction to that specified in the G code and then correct itself. The problem happens randomly (at different places when the same G code is run sevral times) and sometimes doesn't happen at all.

The problem crops up when executing different G codes, and I've looked at the G code produced by CamBam and there's nothing I can see in it that would cause the issue. Since the problem occurs randomly and independently of the G code (I think), I think it's a runtime issue, which would point to something going awry in either LinuxCNC or maybe in the HobbyCNC board.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it a latency issue or something in the way I've configured LinuxCNC?

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2015 20:04 #54971 by BigJohnT
It could be several things, loose wire, weak direction signal, direction setup or timing too fast for the drive. Have you done the stepper test?

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/Stepper_Diagnostics.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: steve85

More
13 Jan 2015 23:02 #54976 by steve85
Hey John,

Thanks for the response. I'll check for loose wires, but all three axes have experienced the problem so it's perhaps more likely a configuration error. I haven't run the stepper test but will try it on each axis to see what I get. I'll post the results for future reference.

Steve

More
14 Jan 2015 00:31 #54981 by emcPT
Most likely the issue is on your drivers box. Maybe some reference point that is making a bad contact and it is common to all axis (when you say that the issue happens on all 3 axis, it happens at the same time?)

I really do not think a configuration can make that happen random.

More
15 Jan 2015 08:06 #55018 by steve85
Obrigado, emcPT.

I think I found the cause of the problem. Earlier, the latency test for my computer suggested my max jitter was about 11000, but today I connected the computer to the internet and was able to perform a much more stressful latency test that resulted in a max jitter figure of over 500000. Clearly, my hardware is unsuited to run LinuxCNC reliably, so it's time to find a better linux box...

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Steve

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds