External control box on Serial Port

More
19 Jan 2015 19:10 #55160 by Gloup
Hello,

I have some difficult to find some information, maybe because my english isn't enought good !

I have a CNC milling, axis controller board is plugged on parallel port and I make the configuration using stepconf. Everything is good !

Now, I want make an external control box plugged on serial port (COM1) with 6 buttons : X+ X- Y+ Y- Z+ Z-
In fact, I want do exactly the same thing that we can do with the keyboard but on a smaller box.

I imagine this function is possible. Could you give me some link to the good documentation, or some example, keywords, ...

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2015 19:47 #55161 by ArcEye
Hi

This sort of pendant is only possible if you can write a handler component which will either stuff the output into the keystroke buffer to make it a HID device, or interfaces directly with Linuxcnc via serial comms.

A USB HID device that emulates a keyboard will work 'as is', linux does not have a problem with how many 'keyboards' are connected.

A USB over serial pendant such as the Arduino also works, but again requires such a component to connect to Linuxcnc
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...pendant-for-linuxcnc

If you have not made this box already, I would advise that either you consider a pre-built supported pendant like the XHC
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Using_...Wireless_MPG_Pendant
or
consider something like the arduino interface USB to UART

regards

More
19 Jan 2015 23:12 #55167 by Gloup
Ok thank you, I will look on this way.

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds