Upgrade spindle

More
12 Feb 2015 08:12 #55907 by allenwg2005
Upgrade spindle was created by allenwg2005
Hi,

I would value any opinions you folks might have on the following.

I have a gantry router that has a Rockwell 6302 router motor on it.
I would like to put a variable speed spindle on.

I have (on occasion) machined aluminum on this machine and would like to do more of this sort of thing.
I can't run at high production speeds (DC steppers), so a spindle with 1.5 to 2.2 KW is about all I would need.

If at all possible, it would be great if I could find something with tool changing abilities as well, with say an ER20.

(Not asking much am I !)

Any advise on something that would work well with LCNC would be appreciated.

Thanks to all, Allen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2015 15:15 #55909 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Upgrade spindle
The problem will be just the mechanics, that is not directly related to LinuxCNC.
Basically all solutions will work with LinuxCNC, as the interface between LinuxCNC and the motor that will be on your machine will be most likely a VFD, that is very common in all LinuxCNC machines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
12 Feb 2015 21:06 #55914 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Upgrade spindle

If at all possible, it would be great if I could find something with tool changing abilities as well, with say an ER20.

An ER20 is just a collet so no different than the collet in your router now. If you want repeatable tool changes then your spindle needs a CAT or BT or similar tool holder. My BT30 holders use ER collets. At a hundred bucks a pop you can quickly tie up several thousand dollars in tool holders.

www.maritool.com/Tool-Holders-BT30-ER-Co...er/product_info.html

JT

More
12 Feb 2015 21:25 - 12 Feb 2015 22:41 #55916 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Upgrade spindle

At a hundred bucks a pop you can quickly tie up several thousand dollars in tool holders.

www.maritool.com/Tool-Holders-BT30-ER-Co...er/product_info.html

Or you can get lucky on eBay. I got a job lot of 25 holders for £85.

There are also significantly cheaper sources than Maritool. Quality may be not as good: www.ctctools.biz/er25-bt30-collet-chuck-b50/
And even cheaper: www.ebay.com/itm/161259133793
Last edit: 12 Feb 2015 22:41 by andypugh.

More
12 Feb 2015 22:41 #55919 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Upgrade spindle

I guess www.ebay.com/itm//191401880037 is over budget?

There are lots of very cheap spindle motors on eBay, but all have an integral collet chuck. If you want a tool changer then the price gets a _lot_ higher.
www.aliexpress.com/item/ISO20-motor-spin...80mm/1051015169.html

More
13 Feb 2015 00:08 #55927 by allenwg2005
Replied by allenwg2005 on topic Upgrade spindle
I knew a tool changer would be a challenge $$$$, my Walter Helitronic Large Power ran ISO 50, the machine was ghastly expensive and the tooling/support equipment almost doubled the cost to set it up. I sold my shares in that company due to all the money we were spending.
We never made enough for ourselves to have a descent payday, it went on and on and on, at the eight year point I walked.

I saw the unit on Ebay, it's not a bad deal, but I have less than $1500.00 in this machine (I bought it busted and fixed it) and I need an affordable solution or I may as well have stayed vested in that corporation. Unless a 1.5 - 2.2 KW w/changer come along cheap I'll most likely do a cheap spindle.

Thanks for all your help folks.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds