Power Supply

More
12 Mar 2015 03:44 #56710 by bill516
Power Supply was created by bill516
My current power supply is 23v @6Amps but I'm thinking of going up to 48V so the spindle will run faster, I'm not bothered about upping the motor volts as they seem quite solid as they are at 23V. Whats the best way of doing it, new power suppy with 48V output of use a variable voltage stepup booster.

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2015 06:01 #56719 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Power Supply
The step-up boosters are cheap, and I have one, but it seems an odd way to go.

I would think that a new supply makes more sense. You could probably make one, it doesn't need to be regulated. The problem then is not exceeding the driver max voltage.
A 48V transformer rectified into a capacitor will give you 67V, which is too much.
My mill power supply is just mains voltage through a regulator into some big capacitors, but I have a lot more driver overhead than you do.
If I recall my RMS equation correctly I think that you would want a 33V nominal output transformer.

It is probably easier and safer to get a new PSU, though a second 24V PSU the same as the first hooked up in serial might work.

More
12 Mar 2015 16:09 - 12 Mar 2015 16:10 #56732 by bill516
Replied by bill516 on topic Power Supply
Thanks Andy

I wasnt sure if those setup boosters were of any use, at least I know I could use one if push comes to shove. Have to wait for the tickle of money to top up the bank account.

Bill
Last edit: 12 Mar 2015 16:10 by bill516.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds