Hooking up to printer port

More
18 May 2010 20:02 #2896 by JJBrew
I am very new at this so help will be needed some and a lot of patience from the fine people here

I have received some information from the servo drive maker on what pin I should use but since I am not a electrician I am have some trouble with it in EMC you have step / Dir now what one is positive and what is ground
I have pulse 1 with these two I was told to hook up the Step but he said something about common and hook it up to the other
pulse2
Common is this the ground from the case at the printer port where we connect all the unused ports and ground too the case ??????
Sign3 and here I was to hook up Dir and again the other common ,??? Does it matter what one is common

sign4

yes I know I am very new at this and I will get the proper help if needed to do the final hook up

Thanks John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2010 23:24 - 18 May 2010 23:43 #2897 by BigJohnT
Hi John,

It's usually not the best idea to connect up your drives to the parallel port direct. If you blow the on board parallel port then your shot in the foot so to speak. I use a CNC4PC breakout board when I used the parallel port to drive my Gecko 203v drives. Another way is to use a plug in parallel port card.

Step and direction are two separate pins. The step pin does just that for each off to on or on to off depending on the dive the drive moves the stepper one step or one micro step again depending on the drive. The direction pin tells the drive which way to turn.

What kind of drives do you have?

Sorry for not having a direct answer... parallel ports sink current better than they source so usually the connection is from a positive to the pin.

John
Last edit: 18 May 2010 23:43 by BigJohnT.

More
19 May 2010 11:56 - 19 May 2010 12:03 #2910 by JJBrew
Big john what one do you recommend C1,C10,C11,or the C13 .I see what you mean I was very worried about that hooking up the wrong wire and frying the PC or the Port. I was going to put in two more ports since I have a PCI card for it so I guess when I hook up all the extras I will need a breakout board at all ports

Thank you

John

As for the drives I have Yaskawa drives SGDA-04-AP 200 volt system with the proper motors for it SGMP-04
Last edit: 19 May 2010 12:03 by JJBrew.

More
19 May 2010 12:14 #2911 by BigJohnT
I used the C1G as I was driving Gecko drives which are optically isolated. I wouldn't use the C13 as it is just a terminal block for your parallel cable and offers no protection. The other choices just depend on what your needs are. To muddy up the waters don't forget to look at Mesa hardware too at www.mesanet.com

John

More
19 May 2010 21:37 #2915 by JJBrew
Muddy thanks for sure I don't know what I want just looking at that site :blink:

More
20 May 2010 10:49 - 20 May 2010 10:50 #2921 by BigJohnT
I use the Mesa 5i20 card on my plasma now and also on my Hardinge lathe. The big advantage with hardware step generation is your speed is not limited to how good your latency results are on the PC. Just depends on your needs. You can run the stepconf wizard and check your latency then enter in your gearing (or how many steps for one machine unit) for each axis and see if the max speed is fast enough for your needs. Take a look at the Getting Started Guide for info on the stepconf wizard.

John
Last edit: 20 May 2010 10:50 by BigJohnT.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds