can i do this with linuxcnc?

More
19 Mar 2015 19:20 #57009 by joop
hi all,

i'm new to cnc, but decades of experience in programming and linux.
i would like to create a system with a web based gui machine and the cnc machine, both connected to a central server that serves both gui and cnc machine.
the web based gui is tailored to be used by a human process controller.
the proces controller just sees messages like "put the jig onto x and press y" etc etc... supported by images etc.
the server then sends gcode? to the cnc pc with linuxcnc and starts routing.

is it possible to have linuxcnc machines be controlled over lan by sockets, http api or whatever?
can i remotely load whatever is nescessary to start routing (gcode files, configuration files or whatever)?

i'm pretty sure it can be done by linuxcnc, but what it the best way to approach this?

many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2015 19:49 #57010 by andypugh
You can _probably_ do this with LinuxCNC.
It is rather more the sort of system that Machinekit are heading towards, with machinetalk and inter-machine communications properly supported.

There are ways to interact remotely with LinuxCNC machines, axis_remote , linuxcncrsh , Rockhopper

I am not 100% certain why you want to involve 3 machines. It could be done with one, and it ought not to be too hard to have the LinuxCNC machine send the messages to the User screen server.

Code running on the _same_ machine as LinuxCNC can use the Python interface

More
19 Mar 2015 22:36 #57016 by joop
Replied by joop on topic can i do this with linuxcnc?
hi andypugh,

thanks for the advice.
i looked at the tools you suggested.
linuxcncrsh might fit my needs...
i'm all new to this so please bear with me.

the filename in the "set open <filename>" command of linuxcncrsh, does it take a gcode file, that than can be executed by the cnc machine?

thanks,

More
19 Mar 2015 23:11 #57019 by andypugh

the filename in the "set open <filename>" command of linuxcncrsh, does it take a gcode file, that than can be executed by the cnc machine?

I believe so, I have never actually tried.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds