Linuxcnc support

More
21 Mar 2015 09:08 #57056 by yoshimitsuspeed
Replied by yoshimitsuspeed on topic Linuxcnc support
Since it appears I have the attention of two moderators here and none in my need help thread maybe you guys can make a suggestion about the best way to go about a. getting answers and b. trying to help resolve this bug.
Do I have to join a mailing list and post there? If so should I add it to the users list or the developers list?
Again it would be really nice if I could just report it on the forum on on a bug report page or something.
I don't really see why the forum should be any less legitimate than the mailing list and don't really feel like I should have to join a mailing list to get help or report a bug when there is a perfectly good forum sitting right here.

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...w-it-moves-real-slow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2015 09:22 #57058 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Linuxcnc support

Since it appears I have the attention of two moderators here and none in my need help thread maybe you guys can make a suggestion about the best way to go about a. getting answers and b. trying to help resolve this bug.

We don't make policy. We just didn't run away fast enough.

As for your slowness problem, do you mean that the actual machine axes run slower? Are your scales, step-lengths and base period the same as they used to be?

More
21 Mar 2015 09:33 #57059 by yoshimitsuspeed

As for your slowness problem, do you mean that the actual machine axes run slower? Are your scales, step-lengths and base period the same as they used to be?

As it says in my thread I can take the configuration from 2.6 that worked and drop it into 2.7 and will have this issue. I can also create a new config in 2.7 and it will also have this issue.

As far as I can tell under about 900mm/m the machine appears to travel at the speed it thinks it it and is supposed to. Just a little faster and the speed cuts roughly in half.
The machine thinks it's traveling at a normal speed. The cutter on the display travels at a normal speed but the machine travels at a greatly reduced speed. If the DRO says the machine has traveled 1000mm the machine will have traveled much less like 400-600. I haven't actually measured or tried comparing actual movement at different speeds.
It seems like the steppers are spazzing out a bit but that may just be me trying to understand what's going on. It's definitely something different with linuxcnc 2.7 though because I can run the machine over 2200 mm/min on 2.6 with no skipped steps or issues.
Also as I said in the thread I am happy to try and provide any other information or do a screen share over team viewer or whatever I can do to help. I just need input and need to know what to do.

More
21 Mar 2015 22:06 #57069 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Linuxcnc support
We should probably take this back to your original thread. But, what you are describing below sounds exactly like a missing step problem. The better question is what could possibly be causing missed steps in 2.7 and not 2.6.

As it says in my thread I can take the configuration from 2.6 that worked and drop it into 2.7 and will have this issue. I can also create a new config in 2.7 and it will also have this issue.

As far as I can tell under about 900mm/m the machine appears to travel at the speed it thinks it it and is supposed to. Just a little faster and the speed cuts roughly in half.
The machine thinks it's traveling at a normal speed. The cutter on the display travels at a normal speed but the machine travels at a greatly reduced speed. If the DRO says the machine has traveled 1000mm the machine will have traveled much less like 400-600. I haven't actually measured or tried comparing actual movement at different speeds.
It seems like the steppers are spazzing out a bit but that may just be me trying to understand what's going on. It's definitely something different with linuxcnc 2.7 though because I can run the machine over 2200 mm/min on 2.6 with no skipped steps or issues.
Also as I said in the thread I am happy to try and provide any other information or do a screen share over team viewer or whatever I can do to help. I just need input and need to know what to do.

More
23 Mar 2015 05:10 #57096 by yoshimitsuspeed
Problem has been resolved. I updated my thread with more details.

Back to the original topic of this thread. I still think it would be nice if linuxcnc came across as more accessible.
One thing that I started wondering is if this forum is actually hidden from spiders or otherwise somehow limited on public visibility.
In google searches I don't even see the forum come up and will often find discussions on cnczone or other resources do show up.

• Dan Falck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2015 08:17 #57098 by Dan Falck
Replied by Dan Falck on topic Linuxcnc support
I can see where you are coming from, wondering where the best place to hang out. I am in the process of setting up some machines with linuxcnc also and have been going between the mailing list, this forum,the wiki, scouring IRC archives, and looking at the forked project mailing list on google groups.
I don't mind any form of communication and I like IRC, this forum, and the mailing list, but it can be daunting to keep up.
I will continue to check all of the above. It keeps life interesting :)

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds