Debian Root Permissions

More
01 Apr 2015 19:46 #57370 by johnl2
Hello again all, I am having a problem with Debian Wheezy. I just came from ubuntu and was getting pretty good at it, but it looks like debian is a whole new beast. I am trying to do the SMP and isolcpus. But I cannot even get permissions to drag the file into grub.d. I have been trying all morning but I keep getting "su: Authentication failure". How do I get root permissions in a graphical interface? For instance, in ubuntu, I simply used gksudo nautilus. That worked fine. But now it's asking me for a root password that I don't even have. Is there a default password?

Thanks,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2015 20:47 #57375 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Debian Root Permissions
See the answer on your other post

More
02 Apr 2015 00:20 #57398 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic Debian Root Permissions
I cannot seem to find my other post since I x'd out of it. Anyway, I was hoping upon a hope that you'd be able to answer one more Q for me today. . . So, I got that all figured out, thanks to you, many thanks btw, I wanted to hit the thank you, which is why I wanted to find the other post. . . but anyway, we got that all figured out, but I have one small problem. When I had my fresh install of Wheezy, I went to go open Applications > File Manager. It would not open it w/o knowing what editor to open it with. So I (stupidly) typed in "Gedit". Now every time I click on it, I get an error saying "Failed to execute default File Manager". "Failed to execute child process "gedit" (No such file or directory).

So my question is, how do I change the default app to open File Manager?~!

Thanks again very much,

John

More
02 Apr 2015 14:59 #57422 by ArcEye
You need to establish which display manager you are using and google editing menus for that manager.

I think the default one is xfce, in which case this may be what you need

wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

regards

More
03 Apr 2015 04:57 #57455 by johnl2
But I can open all of my other files, like home, etc. and they open with Thunar. I was so used to ubuntu, when it asked me what to open it with the first time, I typed in gedit. So now it tries to open it up with gedit all the time and it can't. My question is, like if you were doing it on windows, you just right click and select "open with" and then it sets that program as the default. Linux has to make it so hard to do these simple tasks and now I am stuck with not being able to open file manager. So how would I change the default program "open with"?

Thanks again for all of your help,

John

More
03 Apr 2015 13:43 #57470 by ArcEye

Linux has to make it so hard to do these simple tasks and now I am stuck with not being able to open file manager.

It is nothing to do with linux, it is 50% the way that xfce works regards mime and 50% because you are a windoze user expecting everything to be the same.

If you want to open the file manager, just open it. Clicking on pretty pictures with a mouse is so that 5 year olds can use computers.

If you want to change what application is associated with a file extension type (mime)
google or bing or whatever will tell you how to.

eg
forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6936

regards

More
03 Apr 2015 19:40 #57484 by johnl2
I realized that after I sent it, it's that I am a windoze user, that is why I'm having such frustrations. But even though I HAVE to use linux, I still had an interest in linux even BEFORE I decided to become a machinist. And I know I don't HAVE to use linuxcnc, but it's preferable to me over Mach3 after reading all of what people had to say between the two. Lots of Mach3 guys out there, but I believe linux is the better OS for machining. Anyway, thank you again and I will try to change this. I can still get into my file system, it's just that when I click on "applications" and go down to "file system", it does not open b/c it tries to open it with gedit. I have been searching for days and cannot find out how to change that. Obviously you don't know or I'm sure you would have told me. So again, thank you so very much for all of your help up to this point. Setting up my cnc would have been much harder without you guys on here.

John

More
03 Apr 2015 21:43 #57489 by ArcEye
I don't know the details of how to change it in xfce, because I hate it and never use it.

It is easy in lxdm, there is a specific menu editor and you just set your menu entries to open whatever you want.

The previous link I gave should enable you to change your menu's
wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

However if you read the second paragraph of that linked page, you can use the same menu editor to change xfce menus, I would go that way

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnl2

More
03 Apr 2015 23:58 #57491 by johnl2
I'm not too good with changing menu editors, etc. I would like to use whatever it is that you're using. . . how would I go about doing that? And would that change all the defaults to the new program?

Thanks again,

John

P.S. So I got the J1900 Mobo from Asrock. I had 24000 ns latency at first. So then my ubuntu usb stopped working. So I upgraded to Debain. I used that isolcpus or whatever it's called. Put that into grub.d. Turned everything off in Bios. Computer still runs fast as it ever did and I had a latency test running all night and all day today. It's still at a beautiful 12781ns. I'd like to say 7000, b/c that is what it was at this morning after 12 hours. Then it went up to 12. But that's awesome, no?!

More
04 Apr 2015 00:31 #57492 by johnl2
btw, that other site you gave me, same site different thread, with the two posts, that worked for me! I just did it. THANKS!

John

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds