Visual representation of work to do in axis

More
03 Apr 2015 17:09 #57477 by curious
Hi,

Can any of this be done?

I would like a visual view of the plot in the current Z position - in other words, I have a 3D roughing pattern from aspire that is 16 levels deep (it's an easter egg relief), the axis plot screen shows a big mass of white or pink but what I'd like is each of the 16 Z-level passes to be highlighted or 'sliced' so it's apparent on the screen what level it's at. Obviously this only works for 3D roughing where Z is relatively constant but maybe there's an option hidden in the colors that allow something to be done?

Similarly rather than the white/pink is there an option to make the cut lines invisible (rather than pink) so they don't obscure the cut lines yet to be done.

Lastly, is there a way of showing the time taken so far, and an ETA of when it will finish?

Apologies if my terminology is wrong, I'm an enthusiastic beginner!

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2015 02:57 #57494 by BigJohnT
If your using Axis you can control what is displayed in the G code itself.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/axis.html#_axis_preview_control

You can have an elapsed time meter but the only way to know exactly how long a file takes to run on your machine is to run it.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/time.9.html

JT

More
04 Apr 2015 14:50 #57513 by curious
Thanks...

The preview.hide/show probably won't help - I thought perhaps I could auto-generate it with a program filter but I'm after a way of showing the the plot for each Zlevel, eg:

<press run>
G1Z-1.000F300.0
<show all plots in a dark color>
<show all plots on this Z-level in white>
G1Z-2.000F300.0
<show all plots in a dark color>
<show all plots on this Z-level in white>

I think the hide/show won't help out.

In fact, looking at this and the xrdb I'm guessing that the plot preview is calculated and drawn once and is then left for opengl to display, rotate & update - so any change in color (or making invisible) will have to be an opengl instruction. Does that sound right?

In terms of an ETA my thinking was that once the plot is calculated it has a rough approximation of G1 distances, and after it has completed (say) 10% of the total G1 distance it can estimate a total time of (time taken * 9). You could make it fancier by looking at the Feed rates... it's not essential but I'm really looking for a way of fitting this around other chores rather than babysitting the machine - even beeps on the last 5 minutes would be good.

But my interest is piqued so I'm going to have a look at the axis code and see if I can understand that...

More
05 Apr 2015 02:40 #57531 by BigJohnT
Axis does have a total time for the G code but it doesn't take into account acceleration so it is always lower than the actual time it takes to run a file.

JT

More
06 Apr 2015 14:33 #57572 by curious
I can't find any reference to that - can you give me a pointer?
Thanks,

More
More
07 Apr 2015 02:02 #57589 by curious
I've looked at the docs, and the screen and the axis.py - i'm missing it though.

More
07 Apr 2015 02:43 #57590 by BigJohnT
File > Properties.

JT

More
07 Apr 2015 04:09 #57593 by curious
Ah, obvious once pointed out!

Thanks...

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds