Newbie and Torchmate Table

More
26 May 2015 00:18 #59022 by kendavistoo
I have acquired a Torchmate plasma table, and I need help in setting it up. I have not seen the table, but I understand that it has NEMA 23 steppers. Also, has Thermal Dynamics mechanics torch but no power supply. I have built up a computer with: Asus M5A99FX motherboard, AMD FX-8320, Asus R7 250X Radeon graphics card, and Lava PCI-Parallel card. I have installed the LinuxCNC Debian distro.

What hardware/software will I need to get this thing running? Can the Lava parallel card be set up via Linux? Thanks much for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2015 05:57 #59041 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Newbie and Torchmate Table

What hardware/software will I need to get this thing running?

It is hard to say without knowing what the stepper drivers are, but you might have all you need. Maybe you need to wait for the machine to turn up to see what is there.

More
27 May 2015 21:24 #59109 by kendavistoo
The motors are marked MP 2303 6.0A 3.0V. Am I correct that I will need a power supply for the motors, a 3-axis controller, and motor drivers?

More
27 May 2015 22:33 #59113 by andypugh

The motors are marked MP 2303 6.0A 3.0V. Am I correct that I will need a power supply for the motors, a 3-axis controller, and motor drivers?

LinuxCNC is a 9-axis controller, so that part is covered.
You will need a power supply of about 20A (or 25 A if there are 4 motors, I can't recall if the Torchmate has twin motors on the gantry). Ignore the motor voltage, that is irrelevant for stepper motors.

You can use any 6A stepper driver, but the higher voltage you use the faster the machine will be able to move.

Rather than try to find a 20A / 60V power supply you could look at line-powered stepper drivers such as www.ebay.com/itm/130835449292 (That is an example, not a recommendation)

Have you contacted Torchmate to see how much their "official" PSU and driver kit is?

More
28 May 2015 00:13 #59116 by kendavistoo
Current owner contacted TorchMate and their electronics/software package is VERY expensive. Do you have a preferable brand and model of controller/drivers?

More
28 May 2015 06:16 #59136 by andypugh

Do you have a preferable brand and model of controller/drivers?

Not really, I don't really expect to be doing any more stepper machines.

More
28 May 2015 22:50 #59156 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Newbie and Torchmate Table
I'm happy with my Antek (not Antec) power supply, Gecko 203v stepper drivers and Mesa 5i25-7i76 combo on my plasma machine.

JT

More
29 May 2015 02:28 #59164 by kendavistoo
Thanks all. Finally went with Gecko G540, CncRouterParts 7.3A power supply, 4 x 320 oz-in CncRouterParts steppers, 5I25 Superport from Mesa. I have a lot of learning to do.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds