General Start information

More
07 Jun 2015 00:40 #59539 by bbusch
Hello Linux World,

I am new to this forum, and am looking for some condensed information. I am very familiar with Mach 3 and have built/retrofitted several machines using USB motion control boards with good results. I am overwhelmed with the amount of information at the moment there is about Linux CNC. I can see the advantages for sure, however there doesn't seem to be the same amount of commercial products especially plug and play motion control devices like there is with Mach 3. I am most interested in the Kinematics possibilities for linux cnc. However, I need to walk before I run. I am hoping someone can quickly get me started with linux cnc. Below I am going to post some questions and hope for explanations a noob can understand. I am looking to document this entire project, and share with the forum so anyone new to linux cnc like myself has a place to start. Thank you in advance for anyone willing to lend a hand.

1. What is the best option for a plug and play motion controller ( In Mach 3 these usually have plugin files that just in in the right folder, once done it starts communicating)
2. What other hardware am I going to need other than power supplies, drives, and motors--- for stepper system--no encoders needed at this juncture
3. What are HAL files
4. Has anyone built an articulated robot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2015 17:22 #59560 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic General Start information
You might want to start by trying and experimenting with the sample configurations that are included with linuxcnc. There is a good chance one will fill your needs.
Also look at Stepconf for a fast and simple path to creating your own configuration.
And PNCconf for a quick path to creating a configuration for Mesa products.

Rick G
The following user(s) said Thank You: bbusch

More
07 Jun 2015 19:30 - 07 Jun 2015 19:31 #59570 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic General Start information
1. "Best" is very hard to define without knowing a lot of things like budget, type of machine, etc.
2. That is the basic needs for a stepper system.
3. HAL files are described here .
4. Yes, LinuxCNC can control up to 9 axes and custom kinematics can be used. Some examples here .

JT
Last edit: 07 Jun 2015 19:31 by BigJohnT.

More
07 Jun 2015 22:43 #59591 by bbusch
Replied by bbusch on topic General Start information
Have you used Mesa Products? If so which ones would you recommend and why?

Brian B.

More
07 Jun 2015 22:50 #59592 by BigJohnT
On my plasma with steppers for all axes I used 5i25 7i76 combo with Gecko 203v drives and an Antek (not Antec) 63v power supply with 24v and 5v. Mesa is not the only option but I'm not familiar with Pico products. Both Mesa and Pico are supported here on the forum.

JT

More
08 Jun 2015 10:31 - 08 Jun 2015 10:35 #59616 by bbusch
Any chance of schematics for your setup, and any general info of setting up the Mesa products. Are your Mesa product parallel, or Ethernet setup? I very much appreciate your time. I am actually doing this at a Community College, so as an instructor every bit of time you save me the more I can focus on putting it into action in the classroom. Also, can you give me an example of using a HAL File ( Is it like using Vb Script to Create Macros in Mach 3)?
Last edit: 08 Jun 2015 10:35 by bbusch. Reason: Added Question

More
08 Jun 2015 18:23 #59619 by BigJohnT
This is my plasma machine.

gnipsel.com/shop/plasma/plasma.xhtml

I tried Mach once but it would not work for me so I know very little about it.

In your ini file you have a HAL section, in this section you list the HAL file in the order you want them to load. I have no idea what Mach does even though Mach was a fork from the original EMC. The basic explanation of HAL is here . Hmm seems I've given you this link once before...

The Mesa cards I use in all of my machines are PCI cards. You can control a stepper machine with a parallel port and a breakout card. The 5i25 7i76 combo is a popular setup.

There is one Mesa Ethernet card that is experimental.

For a simple parallel port stepper machine the stepconf wizard can create your configuration files for you in minutes. I can also convert a Mach xml file of a simple machine to a stepconf file.

JT

More
08 Jun 2015 19:32 #59621 by bbusch
I did read the link you had to the HAL files, but there is so much info there I was hoping you could break it down for me a little. Trust me if someone with experience it throwing me a bone I chase it. Other than using a Raspberry Pi a little I am a complete noob to Linux as well, so I have a steep learning curve to get up.

More
08 Jun 2015 20:13 #59626 by BigJohnT
I forgot about the Hal Intro but it is a bit wordy... maybe this is the information you seek I don't know.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/intro.html

JT

More
16 Jun 2015 18:41 #59880 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic General Start information
I made a complete set up with real issues for using a 7i77 + 5i25 + servo drive. It also covers linuxcnc installation.
You can see it here, with a lot of pictures: EuSurplus wiki

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds