Unable to edit file created with stepconf

More
17 Jun 2015 07:53 #59901 by sajurcaju
I created a configuration using stepconf. Later, I tried to edit the configuration, again using stepconf.
I get the initial screen where you choose between a new configuration and modify an existing one. I pick modify.
I now can navigate to my existing configuration file and select it. When I push "open", the window with the available files blanks and nothing else happens.

I can go through the selection process again, pick the config file, push "open" and nothing happens.

I would have searched the forum for this problem first, but the search does not seem to work.

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2015 12:51 #59905 by kornphlake79
Make sure the file has the correct permissions. If you aren't familiar with permissions in Linux search for "ls -l" and "chmod"

More
17 Jun 2015 14:48 - 17 Jun 2015 14:50 #59906 by ArcEye
I can't replicate this, but we have no idea what version of Linuxcnc, what distro etc you are using

It won't be anything to do with permissions.

Even if the file permissions were just 444, you would still be able to open it for reading, which is all you are doing at that stage.

Open a terminal and run stepconf from the commandline.

Do you get any error output when this happens? If so capture it and post it.

regards

PS
Also attach the xxxx.stepconf file you were trying to open, so we can check if it is corrupted
(you may have to change its extension to .txt to get it to attach)
Last edit: 17 Jun 2015 14:50 by ArcEye.

More
17 Jun 2015 16:07 #59907 by sajurcaju
Thank you ArcEye for getting me to look at the problem from a different angle. It turns out to be simple, as it had to be.

When I tell stepconf to open an existing config, it lists everything in my linuxcnc/configs directory, not just the *.stepconf files. I was selecting the myname directory, not the myname.config file. Obvious now, but I didn't even consider that the search would not be selective.

Steve

More
17 Jun 2015 17:42 #59908 by ArcEye

Obvious now, but I didn't even consider that the search would not be selective.

The search is selective and only shows *.stepconf.

If it did not show directories, it would never be able to navigate to somewhere else, if for instance a user had moved all their stepconf files into another folder,
perhaps even the config folder for that particular machine.

regards
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sajurcaju

More
17 Jun 2015 17:48 #59909 by sajurcaju
A very good point.

Steve

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds