Arduino resolver to encoder conversion

More
07 Aug 2015 12:15 #61200 by dave4
Hello all, read Andy's interesting Arduino conversion project in wiki Linux, I'm doing a first up LinuxCNC retrofit with Mesa cards 5I25 & 7I77 to replace an NC on its way out. Thought I was onto a winner with the Mesa 7I49 resolver card but the existing 400hz, 26V - 11.6V resolvers are way out of spec. Could retrofit encoders but I prefer an electronic solution for my old mill with the tortuous cable runs that I made during the original retrofit.

Andy, if it still a project on the go, I wonder if you could help me with some info please. Is your hardware good with those resolvers, if so, how many counts is your conversion doing per rotation (without multiplication), are one or four serial lines required for four axes to the Mesa 5i25 and lastly availability. Thanks very much & regards ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2015 15:34 #61202 by cncbasher
just a query are you saying the resolvers are faulty , or is it just the voltage range does not suit the spec of the mesa card ?
reason i ask is , it's possible to in most cases to fit a voltage divider to the resolvers , to bring the range into what the mesa cards expect

you may find messages to this effect on the forum , it may save you a lot of heartache
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave4

More
07 Aug 2015 16:00 #61203 by dave4
Thx. that's a good suggestion, will look for a way around the low excitation frequency, Harowe nominate precise values per model number.

More
10 Aug 2015 19:05 #61266 by andypugh

Hello all, read Andy's interesting Arduino conversion project in wiki Linux, I'm doing a first up LinuxCNC retrofit with Mesa cards 5I25 & 7I77 to replace an NC on its way out. Thought I was onto a winner with the Mesa 7I49 resolver card but the existing 400hz, 26V - 11.6V resolvers are way out of spec..

The 7i49 provides excitation as well as reading the feedback. Resolvers themselves are voltage-agnostic, I am sure that they would work at the voltage output of the 7i49.
I would be a little more concerned about the excitation frequency, but it might well be that the resolvers would work perfectly at the 2.5kHz output by the 7i49.

Do you have a specification for the actual resolvers?

Note that the 7i49 is a 50-pin interface card and might not work with the 5i25. It might be possible to use the HD-DB ADAPT board (store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...74_80&product_id=285) but I think that if you were to use the 7i49 then a 5i24 PCI card would be a better fit. Most of the 7i77 functionality is duplicated by the 7i49 anyway.

To answer the question....

The Arduino convertor was a fun experiment. I would not consider using it for a motion control axis, the resolution is too low and the jitter is too high.
It might be possible to improve the software by adding a DPLL, but it might just introduce further problems.

My machine now uses a 7i49 and there is not really any comparison.

More
11 Aug 2015 15:55 #61291 by dave4
Thanks very much for the feedback! Since writing I decided to make life simple and follow the Mesa 5I25 and 7I77 path and use encoders, found enough stuff around the place. I'm doing a couple of near identical LinuxCNC setups. Having one control outside on an old friend's 3 axis knee mill and one for project support on an old 4 axis mill in the workshop. Fortunately for installation, the original NCs are identical. Will run the outputs through buffer relays & use the existing ac & dc power power supplies through replacement caps & line filters.

Is there a better input location thanks on either of the 2 Mesa cards for the control panel pb's? eg cycle start, feed hold, single block, coolant override and the feedrate pot. I generally watch the workpiece and work those controls by touch, only using a pendant on setup. regards ...

More
11 Aug 2015 16:10 #61292 by andypugh

Thanks very much for the feedback! Since writing I decided to make life simple and follow the Mesa 5I25 and 7I77 path and use encoders

Resolvers are better than encoders in many ways. It seems like a retrograde step to swap them out. I accept that it might be easier in some cases, but 5i24 + 7i49 is pretty much as easy to set up as 5i25+ 7i77.

Is there a better input location thanks on either of the 2 Mesa cards for the control panel pb's? eg cycle start, feed hold, single block, coolant override and the feedrate pot. I generally watch the workpiece and work those controls by touch, only using a pendant on setup. regards ...

I am not sure I quite understand the question. Are you talking about physical location or electrical location?

For control panel and pendant interfacing the 7i73 can be a very neat solution. You need a smart-serial channel. On my machine I use 5i23 + 7i49 then have a 7i44 on the second header of the 5i23 that has my drives, GPIO and a 7i73 attached. The 7i77 board has a single channel of smart-serial for one device, but more can be added on the second header of the 5i25.

The 7i73 can drive a remote LCD panel, which might suit you.
picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fCc5K4YxIL...pFm0?feat=directlink

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds