LinuxCNC job data storage

More
08 Sep 2015 16:15 #62233 by hweiyiping
Hi,

I'm trying to write an algorithm based on real data from milling jobs. I was wondering if LinuxCNC stores all that data somewhere. I have all the gcode. But I'm thinking that each time that the machine mills something, LinuxCNC should generate a log that records when the job started/ended, the spindle speed, if any error occurred, etc. I've found that the settings are stored in linuxcnc-configs, but where is all the job data? The machine was set up using LinuxCNC Stepconf Wizard. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2015 16:28 #62234 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic LinuxCNC job data storage

LinuxCNC should generate a log that records when the job started/ended, the spindle speed, if any error occurred, etc.

It does not. Nor will you have read anything that says it does.

There are various posts on the forum regards job timings etc that can be applied additionally.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: hweiyiping

More
09 Sep 2015 03:05 #62283 by Todd Zuercher
Is this something like what your asking for?

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...26-time-studdies-ugh

I never completely finished getting it to work like I'd like it, then priorities changed. But maybe it might give you some ideas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hweiyiping

More
09 Sep 2015 08:59 #62296 by hweiyiping
Ahh thank you... Been looking everywhere and not finding anything. Thanks for confirming. So I'll need additional sensors and processor to get any real time job data? I was thinking at least LinuxCNC would generate an error message when an accident happen, e.g. the tool bit ran into the workstation?

More
09 Sep 2015 10:17 #62299 by hweiyiping

I never completely finished getting it to work like I'd like it, then priorities changed. But maybe it might give you some ideas.

Yes recording start/end time sounds like a good start. Will look into it. Thank you!

More
09 Sep 2015 14:48 #62308 by hweiyiping

So I followed the instruction and added the python file to where my ini file was. Then added loadusr -W ./timelog.py to the hal file. When I started LinuxCNC I got this error msg:

execv(./timelog.py): Permission denied
./timelog.py exited without becoming ready

Any idea why it happened? Did you get anything like this? Thank you so much!!

More
09 Sep 2015 16:03 #62309 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic LinuxCNC job data storage
go to the file and make it executable, this is not done by default in linux

More
09 Sep 2015 17:55 #62314 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic LinuxCNC job data storage

Ahh thank you... Been looking everywhere and not finding anything. Thanks for confirming. So I'll need additional sensors and processor to get any real time job data? I was thinking at least LinuxCNC would generate an error message when an accident happen, e.g. the tool bit ran into the workstation?

LinuxCNC would have no idea that a tool hit anything unless it overloaded the spindle drive or axis drive then that could be reported.

JT

More
10 Sep 2015 08:56 #62368 by hweiyiping

go to the file and make it executable, this is not done by default in linux

That fixed it. Thank you!

I use an AXIS GUI. I found some useful info from Machine --> Show LinuxCNC Status. I know that it's a python program called linuxcnctop that pulls all the info. But I can't execute linuxcnctop.py in terminal or find the program that calls linuxcnctop. What I want to do is to automatically log the info pulled by linuxcnctop.py and generate a .txt. Any thoughts? I'm really new to this so any comment will be helpful :)

More
10 Sep 2015 18:34 #62379 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic LinuxCNC job data storage
You can use the Python Interface to read just about anything that the status window shows.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/python-interface.html

JT

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds