Choice of Distributions

More
23 Sep 2015 11:25 #62877 by netfoot
So, am I correct in understanding that LinuxCNC only installs on Debian or Ubuntu? No other distro?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2015 19:40 #62885 by Todd Zuercher
Those are the ones that are supported (and you can get per-compiled real time kernels for).

I know some people have made it work on other distros, but you will be on your own for the most part. My understanding is that the real tricky part is compiling a real time patched kernel that will work with Linuxcnc. But if you only need or want a simulator set up it isn't too difficult. (I compiled a Linuxcnc pure simulator on Mint once). What ever choice you choose, I think a Debian based distro will be most likely to succeed.

More
23 Sep 2015 19:59 #62887 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Choice of Distributions

So, am I correct in understanding that LinuxCNC only installs on Debian or Ubuntu? No other distro?

There are binaries for Ubuntu and Debian.

The source code will compile and automatically work out dependencies on any Debian-based distribution.

For other distributions you are likely to find dependencies hard to work out, but it can be done in principle. Gentoo appeared to be tricky this way, reading an article on the mailing list.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds