Rotational axis machine - Will LinuxCNC work?

More
05 Oct 2015 00:51 #63429 by mibars
Hi,

I'm planning on building a machine that has 3 rotational axes and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. Currently I've settled with stepper motor drives but I'm trying to imagine how to drive it.

I do have some experience with CNC, did a mill retrofit and some other stuff, but my experience is limited to Mach3, with exeption of playing with RepRap. All that stuff was linear, with or without end stops. I did try to use LinuxCNC once, but abandoned it after it interpreted my code from Mach3 in such crazy way that it smashed splindle into table ignoring just programmed emergency stop button.

Basically my machine would have 3 axes: Two rotational, spinning 360 degrees around and third one that despite being rotational would be powered by a screw drive pulling a hinged lever, so its angular position would be based not only on steps but also on some calculations.

My questions are:
-Is it possible to make axes that spin around at given speeds so that their position in relation to each other is constant (eg. keeping 1:10 speed ratio, including speedup and slowdown time?
-Is there a limitation of maximum angle in a step? Lets say that I would like my axle to spin 1000 times, 360000 degrees, no problems in accepting big numbers in g-code?
-Is it possible to program this weird axle that would need some trigonometry to determine actual angular position?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2015 07:21 #63439 by Todd Zuercher
From the surface what your describing does not sound difficult. You may run into issues with maximum step rates if you use software stepping. (not knowing your required rates or steps/rev.). But that could be easily over come with hardware stepping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds