MGP to set spindle speed

More
24 May 2010 01:42 #2979 by ewlsey
Does anyone know if you can use the MPG so set the spindle speed in manual mode? I want to use the MPG to replicate hitting F11 and F12.

I am trying to build a control panel with the PoKeys USB board. I want to use the MPG to set all of the selectable values:

Jogging (incremental)
Jog speed (continuous)
Feed override
Spindle override
Spindle Speed
Max Velocity

Also, does anyone know if you can have a constant multiple set up for rotary axes? Basically you could use that multiple to set jog speed and max velocity for rotary axes using one value (for linear and rotary axes). It would be some multiple to convert the linear mm/min to rotary deg./min. It would be a compromise of course, but would be handy versus having two more values to set for rotary axes.

How do other controls handle this? Seems like Max Velocity should be a percentage of max feed rate and not a discrete feed rate value. Also strange that EMC2 does not distinguish between max rapid feed rate, and max cutting feed rate.

Thanks
-Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2010 11:33 #2986 by BigJohnT
I'm guessing you have passed the hurdle of getting Pokeys to connect to EMC or is your plan to use the keyboard output? I have mine connected using hal_input so I have all the pins available in HAL.

In the dev version you can use the analog inputs from pokeys to directly control the FO SO and MV. I hope the developers add that to 2.4 too.

John

More
25 May 2010 00:53 #2988 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:MGP to set spindle speed
If you use halui to change Max-Velocity then you can scale it to be percentage using a MPG or if developer version a mux and switches.
How is using an mpg handy for overrides? Do you put a physical stop on the the dial so you can only go to 100 percent?
I think I would like a rotary switch with stops much better.

yes having EMC not distinguish between mex rapid and max feed is a little odd - I'm pretty sure it ws just easier to program that way
and in most cases not that big of a deal. I would think more of a problem with a lathe using constant surface speed ....

More
25 May 2010 02:26 #2990 by ewlsey
Replied by ewlsey on topic Re:MGP to set spindle speed
I know the Haas uses the MPG to set the overrides. I think Milltronics does too. I have used Haas and it is OK. I suppose a dedicated knob would be better. Using the MPG for everything does keep the panel uncluttered though.

Thanks for the input. How do I setup to use a percentage if the max_velocity values are different for all the axes?

-Wes

More
25 May 2010 05:20 #2991 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:MGP to set spindle speed
Max Velocity covers all axes.
If an individual axis's max velocity is below the Max Velocity setting then It will not be limited.
This is my under standing.
So yes you can scale your fastest axis as a percentage and if the others are significantly slower
They will not be the same percentage.

More
26 May 2010 03:06 #3011 by ewlsey
Replied by ewlsey on topic Re:MGP to set spindle speed
But I still have to set Max Velocity for both rotary and linear axes. I want to combine them some way.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds