Inputs needed

More
27 Oct 2015 09:52 #64334 by lincamx
Inputs needed was created by lincamx
Need thoughts on inputs.

I am putting together my controller and I am at the point of the inputs.
I would like to wire in everything I may need now then later.
I have five with the BOB that I am using for now.
I am asking what is needed for a DIY mill and plasma. How can I best use them.

Mill inputs
1-Emerg. stop
2-home/limit switches or ->just home and use 3 for limits.
3-limit switches
4-touch off
5-?

Plasma inputs
1-Emerg. stop
2-home/limit switches
THC
3-ARK-OK
4-torch up
5-torch down
need a touch off here, maybe fore go the home/limit switches or can this be implemented with the home/limit input.

Just looking for a list of commonly used.
For the people that has been down this road, How would you do it.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2015 23:15 #64359 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Inputs needed

For the people that has been down this road, How would you do it.

I wouldn't use the parallel port, is the simple answer.

If you do use the parallel port then you can save some pins by combining all home and limit switches onto one pin. You have to home in sequence, but it is a workable solution.

More
28 Oct 2015 08:43 #64378 by lincamx
Replied by lincamx on topic Inputs needed
Hey Andy

Yes I know. I didn't want to go this way, But I already dropped some coins on this BOB that I have because I could not get the hardware that I originality ordered.
So It is what it is.

The servo motors appear to work very well with the BOB that I have(step/Dir.) We'll see when I get this together.

Just like to get the most out of what I have for now. When I get this together and I feel that it is worthy of better hardware I may revisit that.

For a beginner in this, It is a bit of a brain bender on how to best integrate and wire all of this with so little.

More
28 Oct 2015 10:30 #64379 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Inputs needed
You don't have to limit yourself to only one parallel port. You can have 2 or 3 (or more). Plus they can be configured as out (with 12 out and 5 in), In (with 4 out and 13 in), or x-mode (with 8 out and 9 in.) However I don't think you'll ever find an off the shelf breakout board compatible with x-mode. I have a machine set up using 3 ports. (not necessarily because I needed all the I/O, but more for the convenience of attaching existing hardware. (I probably could have made it work on only one port with a bit of rewiring.)

So if you need more inputs add a second parallel port configured as "in" for 13 more input pins.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds