Remote gui

More
06 Nov 2015 22:04 #64898 by eslavko
Remote gui was created by eslavko
Hello...

Until now I had dedicated computer for linuxcnc. Now I wonder if its possible to run linuxcnc in commandline (without X started) and to have GUI like axis on other computer and communication over ethernet. I know that machinekit does something similar. I know that I can use SSH to tunel X session but that even more load the target computer.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2015 00:11 #64916 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Remote gui

Now I wonder if its possible to run linuxcnc in commandline (without X started) and to have GUI like axis on other computer and communication over ethernet.

Yes. I sometimes do this, but not quite how you describe.

You can ssh into the linuxcnc machine and run LinuxCNC as a remote X application.

andy@mac: ssh -Y This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
mill$ linuxcnc

Gives me the Axis GUI on the screen of my Mac in the house, but the software is running on the LinuxCNC machine in the garage.

More often, though, I set up and start the machine in the workshop, then call up a little window on the Mac screen to keep an eye on progress.

ssh -Y This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
halcmd loadusr halmeter -s pin motion.program-line

motion.program-line shouws the program line (obviously) so you can see that the machine is making progress, but it also (and usefully) shows 0 when waiting for a manual toolchange or the program has completed or errored.

More
07 Nov 2015 00:57 #64921 by eslavko
Replied by eslavko on topic Remote gui
I'm aware of that.

But how to avoid GUI on real machine and to have GUI only on "supervising" computer?

More
07 Nov 2015 01:09 #64923 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Remote gui
If you are running a remote X server (on the supervising machine)
there is no need for a GUI on the X client (Linuxcnc machine)

More
07 Nov 2015 01:59 #64927 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Remote gui

But how to avoid GUI on real machine and to have GUI only on "supervising" computer?

It depends on what you mean.

If you don't want any GUI code running on the LinuxCNC machine then you may have to use a non-GUI UI. You can actually use DISPLAY=halui in the INI if you want, and you get LinuxCNC with no GUI.

Rockhopper might be useful to you for the other half of the system, running remotely.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Rockhopper_Web_Server

Or, maybe run "keystick" as the UI on the remote system (though the Keystick code still runs on the LinuxCNC machine).

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

More
07 Nov 2015 15:24 #64951 by eslavko
Replied by eslavko on topic Remote gui
Just want to use small (slow but low lattency) dedicated computer to run linuxcnc.

Mabe even beagleBone or Raspberry but at least for now I'm focused for some Atom like board.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds