How to control 6 axis hobby cnc?

More
13 Nov 2015 20:30 #65211 by tapio
I liked to build a 6 axis CNC. The mecancs is more or less under control by now, but I haven´t found any case study or example how to control it with linuxcnc? Can anybody give me any advise to find the correct "trail"?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2015 07:22 #65226 by Rick G
You might want to experiment with the 9 axis sample config included with linuxcnc.

Also take a look at GEOMETRY...
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/config/ini_config.html

GEOMETRY = XYZABCUVW - Controls the preview and backplot of rotary motion. This item consists of a sequence of axis letters, optionally preceded by a "-" sign. Only axes defined in [TRAJ]AXES should be used. This sequence specifies the order in which the effect of each axis is applied, with a "-" inverting the sense of the rotation. The proper GEOMETRY string depends on the machine configuration and the kinematics used to control it. The example string GEOMETRY=XYZBCUVW is for a 5-axis machine where kinematics causes UVW to move in the coordinate system of the tool and XYZ to move in the coordinate system of the material. The order of the letters is important, because it expresses the order in which the different transformations are applied. For example rotating around C then B is different than rotating around B then C. Geometry has no effect without a rotary axis.

Rick G

More
14 Nov 2015 07:53 #65228 by tapio
Tnx a lot, shall try that 9 axis included. The 2nd text may be a bit too difficult to me, an interpreter is needed.. A case study would be wonderfull to see.

More
14 Nov 2015 08:04 #65230 by cmorley
might help to describe the machine, so we can give better answers

More
14 Nov 2015 10:44 #65236 by tapio
The article by dr Kyrychenko form Kirovgrad, is my startingpoint. The topic is discussed quite lot here..The article can be found in web under name:
Open source CNC control for parallel kinematic machine tool.

Based on that article I decided to start trying to do it. .The mechanics is already ok, but the control with linuxcnc needs support.
A possible co-worker is most welcome.

More
14 Nov 2015 11:29 #65237 by cncbasher
linuxcnc can control up to 9 axes . and most if not all the work is already done ,
making a configuration , is done by using stepconf if using stepper motors .
servo motors are also covered .

machines such as the hexapod shown in that article are already done , and configurations are available
what support do you need ?
we would need to know what you already have built etc ..
and what you still require

More
14 Nov 2015 22:26 #65262 by cmorley
ok so if you would like help with your project please don't make use work so hard to help you.
Just answer our questions as best you can with as much detail as you can.

looks like you want to build a stuart platform.
This is listed in linuxcnc's wiki:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Case_Studies
and in fact I think this is the very machine you are describing:
parallelrobots.blogspot.ca/2012/04/linux...od-machine-tool.html

There is a visual model simulation available sim/axis/vismach/hexapod-sim in the latest release.

Good luck! looks very cool.
Chris M

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds