In need of help

More
14 Nov 2015 00:30 #65214 by maryhad
In need of help was created by maryhad
Little background:

In 2000 I bought a 4 axis Taig CNC mill, with a MicroProto controller. The controller had to used two printer ports, to do the 4th axis, at that time. It was upgraded to only needed one printer port.

The first machine control system, was a MS-DOS based. As finding Windows 98 computers, last Windows that got to DOS, was getting hard, to find, I upgraded, in 2006, to Windows XP, with Mach3. Now that XP is no longer support by MS, it’s days, are numbered. So looks like I will need a new system and computer, to run, my mill.

Started looking at what the new system would be, thought of Linux, as it does not change, like MS, and started checking it out. The web said LinuxCNC version 2.7, was great, and it had ways to do the config file, for Mach3. Friend has a Sherline CNC mill, which runs with Linux, so took some on my G code files, on a flash stick, to his house. The system worked fine, with my G code. Had to put a "%", at start of file, and "3m" at end, of file, but other then that, they worked.

Looked like Linux, would do, what I want. Went to used computer store, bought a used computer, that meet min. specs. listed. As I have no Linux skills, asked the store geek to load Ubuntu 15.04, and LinuxCNC, 2.7, into the computer. He could not load LinuxCNC, 2.7, into the Ubuntu, so told him to do what was needed to load LinuxCNC.

Now have a computer, that at boot up, gives me a menu, to pick, Ubuntu 15.04, or LinuxCNC 2.7. Can see the computer, the LinuxCNC , do some of the example files.

Now The questions I need help in:

1. Went to the library, and got some Linux books. They lost me. Is there a good Linux beginner book?

2. In the Sherline computer, you could mount a flash stick, open it, drag a file from it, to the G code folder, and run it. This does not work in 2.7. Is there a way to do this?
maryhad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2015 03:08 #65216 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic In need of help
Sounds like you need to brush up on your basic computer skills.

You should be able to open a G-code file that is located anywhere that is accessible by your user on your computer. (direct from your flash drive or removable media, off a network share, or just about anywhere on your hard drive(s).)

To use your flash drive, the real trick is to make sure that it is "mounted" and where that is in your directory structure.

I can empithize with you, if you are not familiar with how Linux uses its drive structure, and the idea of mounting, it can be very confusing, (it is rather different from DOS/Windows).

Good Luck and stick with it you'll figure it out (Google is your friend)

More
14 Nov 2015 07:12 #65225 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic In need of help

Had to put a "%", at start of file, and "3m" at end, of file, but other then that, they worked.

Actually your g code should start and end with % or can end with M3. You should not need to change that.
Unless the g code is very simple you will find there are differences between the mach version and linuxcnc, but in most cases a slight edit will fix or selecting a post processor in your Cam for linuxcnc.

You should not have a problem running a g code directly from your flash drive in linuxcnc or a drag and drop the file in linux.
help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/files-copy.html

Can see the computer, the LinuxCNC , do some of the example files.

Is this running your actual machine or a simulator?

Rick G

More
14 Nov 2015 21:19 #65257 by maryhad
Replied by maryhad on topic In need of help
The goal of this project, is to have a Linux system to run my mill, when the XP computer fails.
I copied a file from the flash stick, to the example folder. Took a few steps, but I got there. The file needed a % sign, at the start, and end of the file, to work.
The menu selection used to get to LinuxCNC says, "Debian GNU/Linux (7.9) (on /dev/sdal). I do not think the LinuxCNC system is set up to run in Ubuntu, but is running in Debian.
I am running the code in simulator. After I get all the bugs out of how to load files, the next step will be to config the controller.
Maryhad

More
17 Nov 2015 03:55 #65354 by maryhad
Making progress. Now have a system that I can drag a file, into LinuxCNC, and run it. Simple files simulator, run fine but a long 3D cut file, I had to work on g code,to get it to run. Stopped for tool changes, but did not try adjustments, for tool change.
The post processor needs to be changed,but BobCad Cam, did not list one,for LinuxCNC. Will have to work with them, to get one.
Is there a listing of error messages, for LinuxCNC? Got some error messages with long program, but could not find them, with Google.
Maryhad

More
17 Nov 2015 06:50 #65355 by Rick G
There is probably a post processor listed for EMC2 (linuxcnc's former name) try that if they do not list linuxcnc.
What error messages are you getting?
All g code variations can be a bit different, but with the right post processor you should eliminate them.

Rick G

More
22 Nov 2015 23:11 #65675 by maryhad
As far as error messages, only one, "Patch2". Could not find, in Goggle.

Got an Z out of limits, but it just asked, if I wanted to continue. Does LinuxCNC have machine limits, that you have to set?

The area I spent a lot of time on, was the "Post processor". Looking on Goggle, and other web sites, could not find anyone, that had one, for LinuxCNC. A lot of people are using the Mach3, post processor, as it seams to be very close, to what you need, just need to edit G code. That it is what I did, to get the 3D code, to run

Did get a reply from Bobcad, saying what they need, to make one, and I do not have the skills to answer their needs.

Copy of their reply:

In order to produce a post processor for you we will need a post request completed, fill out the form (link below) and be sure to include a known working sample program that indicates how you would like your program start, end, and tool changes performed as well as a list of G&M codes with descriptions and any applicable canned cycle descriptions.

www.bobcad.com/downloads/post-request

Below is a list of necessary files to be sent for the post processor to be created:
1. A known working Sample G-code program.
2. A list of G&M codes and their descriptions.
3. A description of all drilling canned cycles.

If you do not have this information check your machine manual for the information or contact your machine dealer and ask them to provide you with the above information.

If you have a post that is very close to what you want, e-mail that post to us.

A working program for your control along with a description of every line defining the operation.

An example and description of all applicable canned cycle(s).
G81 G98 Z-.25 R.1 F7.
(R reference plane)

G83 G98 Z-.25 R.1 Q5 F7.
(R reference plane)(Q peck amount)

G84 G98 Z-.25 R.1 F7.
(R reference plane)(F Feed per revolution)

Additionally, there are post processors available at our website here:
bobcadsupport.com/
You will then log in with your username and password. If you do not have a username and password you will need to click Sign Up under customer access and one will be generated for you. After you log in you will be able to click Post Processors and use the post processor wizard to download posts.

If you are unsure of what the above information is please respond back toTechnical Support.

Regards,
Jesse Eliassen
Technician
BobCAD-CAM Inc.
Phone: (727) 489-0003
Fax: (727) 734-8239

More
23 Nov 2015 07:49 #65690 by Rick G

Got an Z out of limits, but it just asked, if I wanted to continue. Does LinuxCNC have machine limits, that you have to set?

When you run Stepconf you set the amount of travel for each axis.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/stepconf.html
linuxcnc uses this for soft limits so if the machine is asked to move beyond the limits an error is reported.
This can also happen if you forget to "touch off" the Z axis to your work.

To run a program normally you would jog to your start location and "touch off" to your work piece.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/axis.html

Rick G

More
23 Nov 2015 10:47 #65693 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic In need of help
you'll probably find once you have your limits adjusted and set up that particular error will dissapear
if you still have problems , attach your post processor , and i'll fix it

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds