Help w/Tool Touch Off - Moves X and Y G54 Origin

More
02 Dec 2015 17:19 #66216 by Dale Lusby
I haven't had this issue before but yesterday I was trying to use the Tool Touch Off for the z offset and it kept moving my X and Y zero for the G54 coordinates. My process is as follows:

- Call up tool 1 (this is my edge finder tool I use for setting G54 X, Y and Z 0 on workpiece
- Set X, Y and Z 0
- Call up the tool I want to set height offset for (ie T25 M6)
- Insert tool and Press Continue
- move to location on top workpiece and touch off Z axis and press Tool Touch Off (I do confirm it is selected for Z axis and press Enter)
- If I am not on X and Y 0 it then moves the G54 X and Y 0 to the location I am currently at in addition to the Z.
- Typically I would then call up the next tool and set the height offset with the tool touch off button for Z as well and continue until all my tool heights are in the system.

The work around I used yesterday after smashing a brand new $30 end mill was to make sure to be on X and Y 0 before selecting the Z tool touch off. Never had to do this before. Running the most current LinuxCNC system.

I am using a Shizuoka AN-S knee mill so typically I have to go through the height offsets for each round of parts as my knee height can change therefor changing my offsets. I am fairly new to CNC and have made my share of mistakes. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2015 20:15 #66225 by andypugh

move to location on top workpiece and touch off Z axis and press Tool Touch Off (I do confirm it is selected for Z axis and press Enter)
- If I am not on X and Y 0 it then moves the G54 X and Y 0 to the location I am currently at in addition to the Z..

That isn't right.

Can you confirm which GUI you are using and exactly which version of LinuxCNC you are running? (it should tell you at the top of the window, I think)

More
02 Dec 2015 21:47 #66233 by andypugh
I tried to reproduce this, and couldn't. Using the Axis GUI and LinuxCNC 2.7.3.

Can you give step-by-step instructions to reproduce it, starting from machine-on?

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds