vulcano CVS version ??

More
03 Dec 2015 02:14 #66253 by kelargo
I am reading the wiki on hardware requirements and the section on memory says how there can be a problem with more than 1 gig or memory. The date associated with this is back in 2008. Is this still an issue?

I installed the debian wheezy hybrid iso ( 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae) on an old Pentium4 motherboard and memory for it is so cheap these days...

The wiki mention "vulcano CVS version" .. what is the vulcano version?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2015 03:01 #66260 by Todd Zuercher
Unless there is something queer with your motherboard that causes latency glitches with more than 1gig memory. I don't think there is any drawbacks to having more (since the advent of pae kernels.)

More
03 Dec 2015 03:08 #66262 by kelargo
Replied by kelargo on topic vulcano CVS version ??
I don’t think I'm seeing any outrageous latency.. just wondering what "valcano" is/was.. ? maybe that became the pae kernels?

currently, I'm using the motherboard's graphics.. and I will change that in the near future, but I am currently getting :
servo thread (1ms) 14621
base thread (25us) 24330
The number are at lower before I start doing anything in the GUI. and I'm currently compiling heekscnc. :)

More
03 Dec 2015 03:25 #66265 by jepler
Replied by jepler on topic vulcano CVS version ??
RTAI uses code-names for its stable ("volcano") and development ("magma") releases. I did not find a canonical explanation of this on rtai.org, but rather I am summarizing a 2013 mailing list post mail.rtai.org/pipermail/rtai/2013-April/025523.html.

As far as I know, the 1GB problem with RTAI has long since been solved. I forget the details, but it had something to do with the x86 CPU feature "PAE" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension, which has to be supported in the CPU and kernel for now common amounts of RAM like 4 and 8GB to work properly. The kernels we ship for Debian Wheezy (the live ISO) include PAE support.

More
03 Dec 2015 16:21 #66286 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic vulcano CVS version ??

RTAI uses code-names for its stable ("volcano") and development ("magma") releases.

Aha! I had idly wondered, but it had never mattered to me. I quite like the metaphor.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds