Keeping G43/TLO enabled, also after error

More
04 Dec 2015 23:01 #66420 by DaBit
Is there a method to keep G43 enabled until explicitly disabled with G49?

From time to time an error occurs, LinuxCNC (or gmoccapy) disables tool length compensation, and when I forget to re-enable G43 the tool crashes into the workpiece when using MDI to get back to the right coordinates. I can also avoid this by making tool lengths negative, but I'd rather have G43 as persistent as possible.

I tried the 'Retain G43' bit in [RS274NGC]FEATURES. I have no idea what that is supposed to do, but when I enter G43 in MDI the DRO changes as it should, but when I execute a G0X0Y0 in MDI the G43 is canceled?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2015 08:04 #66443 by Rick G
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.6/pdf/LinuxCNC_Integrator_Manual.pdf

Retain G43:1 (experimental)
When set, you can turn on G43 after loading the first tool, and then not worry about it through the program. When you
finally unload the last tool, G43 mode is canceled. This is experimental as it changes the operation of legal ngc program,
but it could be argued that those programs are buggy or likely to be not what the author intended

Rick G

More
05 Dec 2015 10:19 #66445 by DaBit
That options does not work as expected, see start post. LinuxCNC 2.8~pre BTW.

More
05 Dec 2015 14:27 #66455 by Rick G

That options does not work as expected, see start post.

Yes I saw that, just posted the link as a stating point. I first thought of M70-M72 but you would still have to enter them.

Rick G

More
08 Dec 2015 08:44 #66613 by DaBit
It would be a very dirty hack, but would it be possible to run a script that does something like this:

while (1) {
if (current_tool != 0 && linuxcnc.mode != auto) {
issue_mdi_command ("G43");
}
sleep (1);
}

?
That would break a few things such as G43.1 etc., but I am not using those anyway.

Is that something the Pyton bindings would allow me to do? Maybe then I finally have a reason to learn Python.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds