Loss of detail when 3d machining

More
11 Dec 2015 13:36 #66809 by beltramidave
Thanks Todd. I have been thinking about getting something like these.
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=onsrud&_os...d+engraving&_sacat=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2015 15:17 #66823 by beltramidave
Here is an update picture of my last run with G64 P0. As you can see, there is much better detail.

I am not sure why I have the vertical lines as the tool path was run horizontally, but suspect it may be my router run out. This tool path took way too long to run, so i need to go back and adjust my stepover and will probably try again with G64 P.0005.

Thanks again for the help!
Attachments:

More
11 Dec 2015 16:45 #66834 by andypugh
Does the pitch of the vertical lines exactly match the pitch of the X-axis belts?

More
11 Dec 2015 18:35 #66843 by beltramidave
Andy,
I don't have any belts. I have acme screws. You may be on to something though as I have noticed a small jerkiness in the X axis at higher speeds.
Thanks

More
18 Dec 2015 02:59 #67118 by OT-CNC
To me it looks like the vertical lines are not as pronounced in the detailed or contoured areas. Mainly visible in the flat area.
Are you doing an initial roughing routine? If so, do you leave some stock to be removed during the finish operation? Did you rough in the direction of the vertical lines?
I just re-read your post and you indicated that the cutting was done horizontally so I'm stumped.
Can you share some more details on the cutting routine and machine?

More
18 Dec 2015 03:19 #67119 by beltramidave
I ran the same file today on cherry wood versus the soft maple and also increased the G64 tolerance to P0.0005 and there was virtually no lines. Of course this just extended the run time, but I guess if that is what I have to do to get the quality I am after, then so be it. I am not in mass production mode...yet.

As stated earlier, I think, my machine is a home built machine with some wood framing along with some aluminum extrusions. I have a fixed gantry with a movable table in Y. I do have fully supported 20mm linear rails with acme lead screws. My spindle is a Bosch Colt. It has quite a few hours on it so the run out is probably not good.

Thanks for the replies and I will just accept the quality and blame it on my machine's inadequacies.

More
18 Dec 2015 03:43 - 18 Dec 2015 03:44 #67120 by OT-CNC

Thanks for the replies and I will just accept the quality and blame it on my machine's inadequacies.

I think it looks pretty good coming off a home built router.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2015 03:44 by OT-CNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beltramidave

More
18 Dec 2015 04:10 #67121 by beltramidave
Thanks...there are days it amazes me too and then there are the days it frustrates me.

More
18 Dec 2015 19:57 #67134 by cts1085
Off Topic Question...
What is your software chain that you are using for these ornaments? How are you producing the G-Code that feeds into LinuxCNC?

Thanks!

More
18 Dec 2015 21:04 #67136 by Todd Zuercher
As far as things to look at for improving your vertical lines;
(if the horizontal movement is your X axis)
1st, Check your ways and bearings, make sure they're tight and smooth moving.
2nd, Check the x drive components (bearings, couplings, and reduction) checking for smooth operation and minimal lash.
3rd, Your spindle might need an upgrade. (there is a world of difference between a decent spindle and a loose hand router)
We have several wood engraving machines that use 3.25hp PorterCable routers. Usually we run them till they croak, then send them out to be rebuilt. but sometimes we have to swap them out when they get too loose. About 0.01" of play (axial and/or radial) is enough to noticeably diminish carving quality. The machines we have with spindles, perform significantly better (not to mention way quieter, and lasting 5-10 times longer.)

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds