Latest version upgrade

More
17 Dec 2015 21:38 #67107 by TarHeelTom
I'm running 2.4.6 currently.

I've been having configuration problems (hal) with the current version. Decided to run stepconfig generator, but can't seem to make it run, as the continuation buttons are off the bottom of the screen.

Should I let the upgrader take it to a later version?

If so, how do I do it.

Thanks

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2015 01:31 #67116 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Latest version upgrade
2.4.x is a very old version now. the most current is 2.7x
to see the button of stepconf you can:
press and hold alt key and click the window to move it around to see the buttons.
change the screen resolution if you can.
make the config on a different computer that has a higher resolution.

2.7 's stepconf puts the buttons on the top to help with this.

but what HAL problems are you having ? - cause you may have the same problems in newer versions.

Chris M

More
19 Dec 2015 07:11 #67144 by TarHeelTom
Replied by TarHeelTom on topic Latest version upgrade
My previous computer died, and took with it the hard drive. Had to replace it with a new motherboard with a SATA drive. Six months later I still can't home the machine as the limit switch information just is not getting to emc2.
This would be a good time to simplify the limit switch wiring, putting all the switches in series and on one pin. After all that, I'll let stepconfig write me new config files. Hopefully this will get the machine running again.

I don't know what HAL problems I'm having, as I'm not at all sure I was able to move the previous working version of the HAL to the new computer. But when I ask it to home, it shows that the X axis is moving toward the limit switch, but the table usually doesn't move. And if it doesn't move, it ignores the limit switch and crashes into the physical limit switch. Same thing on the other three limit switches.

But stepconf gave me two working config files the first time around (about 4 years ago), so I would expect it to do so again. And I still have all the "tweak" numbers saved, so that part will be easy to adjust.

But I don't know how to upgrade to 2.7x, except by making a new LIVE cd. So, how do I tell it to upgrade itself?

More
19 Dec 2015 11:35 #67146 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Latest version upgrade
as linuxcnc now uses debian and not ubuntu , i personally would go for a clean install using the current live cd
as this will not only bring linuxcnc up to date , but also the OS .

you could do this manually , but you would be left with a lot of additional files to install . also using the live cd
will make it easier to stay up to date , once the major change is done .

More
19 Dec 2015 12:56 #67147 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Latest version upgrade

But I don't know how to upgrade to 2.7x, except by making a new LIVE cd. So, how do I tell it to upgrade itself?

I doubt upgrading will have any effect on your problem. It sounds electrical.

However this is the link to upgrading
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...dating-linuxcnc.html

While a deb is not offered for Ubuntu anymore I have a deb for LinuxMint Mate and a script to install the real time kernel. Reason being I really did not like the Debian ui's at all they are just too annoying for me. Having said that a machine would be fine with the Open Box ui on Debian.

gnipsel.com/files/linuxmint/

JT

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds