Rounds and Ovals.Graphics issues

More
08 Jan 2016 02:29 - 08 Jan 2016 18:55 #68044 by keyboard
Is it just my install? I am running Wheezy (3.4.9-rtai-686-pae) with Linuxcnc 2.7.3. Noticed all my rounds are coming out oval on the screen.
In Linuxcnc, or the pie chart in Libre office. Checked and tried all settings i could find and try, no change. Tried a different display , same problem.Even the grid is rectangular in the graph screen area.
:blink: :blush:
OMG !!! round here in the attachment :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
(Copied pic to usb and attached here , using win10) compared to same screen shot by my camera.

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2016 18:55 by keyboard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2016 03:17 #68049 by keyboard
Replied by keyboard on topic Rounds and Ovals.
I realise its got to do with display settings. But tried all i could find. no luck. :(

More
08 Jan 2016 12:55 #68058 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Rounds and Ovals.
It might be a setting that you can adjust on the actual monitor.

Can you find the monitor native resolution from the manual?
The following user(s) said Thank You: keyboard

More
08 Jan 2016 14:38 #68065 by keyboard
Thanks for your response.
I tried two different screens, as well as went into their menus and reset to defaults etc. I feel its the video out from Wheezy thats messed up . I'm going to attempt a re-install and report back.

More
08 Jan 2016 18:58 #68073 by keyboard
Re-installed complete from USB. Narrowed it down to display settings. cannot set a display refresh rate. When i run Xrandr , get a failed to get size of Gamma ......
Any clues to try ?

More
09 Jan 2016 01:10 #68087 by tommylight
Yeah, definitely a resolution problem, been there wasted a few days and gave up.
You have a 4x3 resolution on a 19x9 monitor. Had the same problem and nothing helped on an older computer. I did try xrandr and other tricks, even editing xorg manually but no joy. It was (and still is) a monitor problem, since that same computer works perfectly with any other monitor, and that same monitor gives the same problem on any other computer. Narrowed it down to a h/v sync problem and continued using it like that ( not nice since max i get is 960x640 and some visual errors ).
Tom

More
09 Jan 2016 01:19 #68088 by andypugh

I did try xrandr and other tricks, even editing xorg manually but no joy.

You probably can force a 4:3 mode in xorg.conf, but I suspect it would be a project.

Google will turn up dozens of ways to do it. One of them might work.

I eventually found a recipe that gave me the the right resolution on my monitor. I have no confidence that the same thing would work on anything else, but xorg.conf does seem to be the Nuclear Option when all else fails.

More
09 Jan 2016 03:22 #68097 by keyboard
Yup, exactly as Tom mentioned. And it has me thinking of trying MINT or Jessie. To compound the problem xorg.conf does not exist in the x11 folder and has to be created, and has one running in circles . I shall try a little more...

More
10 Jan 2016 01:48 #68144 by tommylight
Andy, thank you very much for your tips, but as i mentioned, it is a sync problem. It is an older silicone graphic TFT display, (like really old) but it still has a beautiful colour rendering so i keep using it in my workshop for my local server and playing music every day.
I think i mentioned somewhere on this forum that i am an electronic and computer expert with over 30 years of experience, so i checked and i am certain it is a sync problem with that monitor. I have set up, and still do, a lot of weird things (like a 6 monitor setup 17 years ago for playing quake, a home automation with a ZX Spectrum over 20 something years ago, a robot arm controlled by that same ZX, etc etc). Damn i miss that time.

To keyboard, when you did xrandr, did you get a valid resolution for your actual monitor in the results? If you did, you will have to run some circles with xorg and you will get it working properly, but if xrandr does not mention your actual native monitor resolution, try mint and if that does not work, there is something wonky with you graphic card.
Regards,
Tom

More
10 Jan 2016 02:56 - 10 Jan 2016 03:30 #68146 by keyboard
Hi Tommy,
The current setup does not have a graphics card.Its a ASROck Q1900B-ITX. Hence, am using the onboard graphics (intel) to HDMI and tried it on two different newer monitors. When I run Xandr its returning a "Failed to get size of gamma for output default" error.
Its unable to detect EDID monitor resolution. Hence refresh rate is always 0.0. I may try a separate graphics card. Was saving the slot for a MESA card.(only one slot).

You refreshed my memories on the ZX Spectrum.In fact I think I still have it kicking around at my parents. Thats more than 30 years. Boy, am i getting old.

Thanks for the clues will plug on.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2016 03:30 by keyboard.

Time to create page: 0.967 seconds