Multiple Configurations at Start-Up

More
11 Jan 2016 03:09 - 11 Jan 2016 03:14 #68172 by davidbraley
I am very sorry if this question has been asked before, but after using the LinuxCNC and Google search, I am having problems finding an answer to a question. It's possible I don't have the correct vocabulary to find the answer...

I have a small 3 axis cartesian machine I am building that I would love to use LinuxCNC to control. The machine will primarily be used as a 3d printer (I already know about the MachineKit project). I am deliberately building the machine rigid enough for more than one use. With a tool change, I would love to also use it to cut soft gaskets with a drag knife, and use a small spindle to isolate rout PCB board traces. I know that LinuxCNC can easily do any one of those tasks. What I don't know is when I boot my machine up for use, if there is a way to choose a different "Machine Configuration" specifically tuned for the task?

So for example, I know for a task like 3d printing, my extruder would be controlled by a fourth axis (how MachineKit does it). And if I'm routing a PCB board, I will use the machine more like a mill with some kind of spindle control. For a drag knife, it would be configured with no spindle control, but a z axis that just lifts up and lowers for cutting. It would be nice to be able to name each configuration task, and be able to choose them from a menu.

I know that when I first start LinuxCNC, I get a list of machine types (task) if the system doesn't first see a configuration of some kind. Does that list always come up? And if so, can I add to it for my own specific needs?

Again, I am sorry if this has been covered before and I hope my questions make sense.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

David
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 03:14 by davidbraley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 03:12 #68173 by davidbraley
Quick add to my first message: I totally understand that these configuration files will be created by me, specific to the physical parameters of my machine, and the need.

Thanks again,

David

More
11 Jan 2016 03:44 #68174 by cmorley
The list of machines you are talking about ( we call it a launcher) lists all configuration files it finds in /linuxcnc/configs
So if you add the three styles of your machine there then you can choose which to run each time you start linuxcnc.
Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidbraley

More
11 Jan 2016 05:25 #68175 by davidbraley
Chris!

Thank you so much for the reply! I had a feeling what I wanted to do was possible. Thanks for also pointing me in the right direction. I will take a closer look! :)

Take care,

David

More
11 Jan 2016 11:32 #68178 by andypugh

What I don't know is when I boot my machine up for use, if there is a way to choose a different "Machine Configuration" specifically tuned for the task?

Yes, this is relatively easy.

I have two machines. One is a combination Lathe / Milling machine. Depending on which configuration I start up with the bed axis swaps between being the lathe Z or the mill X axis and so on.
This is done with two separate config directories.

The other machine is only a milling machine, but it has two spindle, one horizontal and one vertical. With that machine I have three INI files in the same configuration directory. That gives me three configs to pick from the startup dialog, but the advantage of doing it this way is that the configs can all share certain HAL files and the tool table. So, for example, the spindle and 4th-axis HAL files are shared, but the axis setup changes between vertical milling, horizontal milling or gear hobbing.

You can create launcher items for each config on the desktop, or in a menu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidbraley

More
11 Jan 2016 18:22 #68190 by davidbraley
Thanks Andy!

This is very helpful. I like the idea of making each config a launcher item. That would make it much easier for others to walk up to the machine and use it (I have a reputation of letting others use my stuff).

I'm new to LinuxCNC but not Linux, and I'm super optimistic about using LinuxCNC. I've been a lurker here for a while and I'm always so impressed with the friendliness and knowledge base of this community. :)

David

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds