New - Grinder Lightyears behind

More
13 Jan 2016 14:43 #68311 by cyrut2
I have two questions

Ive been using linuxcnc for a couple days now finally got the steppers to run okay. Its odd but its runs somether than GRBL but at high rpms GRBL was able to get the IPM high than Linux cnc. Played with alot of things timing and hardware noise etc but still havent achieved what i think is good.

I am applying this to a grinder so care must be taken thats why i shy away from GRBL. High rpm with large loads is nothing to play with a 35 dollar arduino. Linux seems safer but i am nowhere near where i want to be on the learning curve of PLC Classic and using a china board. I have two axis the idea i had was to write in PLC where i can get a couple inputs that depending on how they were pushed would give different outcomes like binary. I want to advance the stepper x amount as if a command in g code. Kinda like a MPG but with buttons -foward back a millionth, thousand kinda thing. Can this simply be done? I still dont understand how to create PLC Logic reading but not understanding.

Ive though of purchasing a mesa ethernet but as i look it seems like im far behing is there a ethernet setup that would be easy to get up and running without alot of hal editting? The problem is that the machine is very large with high voltage creating alot of noise if i can get a ethernet isolated externally to control this would simplify the installation.

Thanks in advance for any tips

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2016 15:08 #68315 by andypugh

Ive been using linuxcnc for a couple days now finally got the steppers to run okay. Its odd but its runs somether than GRBL but at high rpms GRBL was able to get the IPM high than Linux cnc. Played with alot of things timing and hardware noise etc but still havent achieved what i think is good.

My guess is that you are running out of step rate with software stepping.
You can increase the step rate whilst retaining the parallel port as the communications mode by using either a Pico PPMC ( pico-systems.com/PPMC.html ) or the Mesa 7i90-HD ( store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_85&product_id=291 )

I have two axis the idea i had was to write in PLC where i can get a couple inputs that depending on how they were pushed would give different outcomes like binary. I want to advance the stepper x amount as if a command in g code. Kinda like a MPG but with buttons -foward back a millionth, thousand kinda thing. Can this simply be done?

Yes, this can be done. It sounds like you don't want to have a PC monitor and PC Display?
Do you actually want to run G-code, or just move stepper motors by fixed amounts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cyrut2

More
13 Jan 2016 20:42 #68329 by cyrut2
I go to the pncconf and it seems that the parport card is not there. It shows 5i25 but i can find the 7i90. Does this card take the servo thread so i can bump up the frequency?

I have to profile the grinding wheel to match the part which is when i need the g code to run the diamond across the wheel. The easy part is having the slide go in and out to put pieces into the infeed system. Once running buttons are usually what makes the process simple since you need to adjust for the wear of the wheel which gets smaller as you run. Its never the same part to part thats why manual buttons seem more pheaseable.

More
14 Jan 2016 00:00 #68335 by andypugh

I go to the pncconf and it seems that the parport card is not there. It shows 5i25 but i can find the 7i90.

It is quite likely that Pncconf does not know about the 7i90. A 7i43 config might get you close, then some hand-editing of the config files.
You would need to use the special 7i90 driver rather than the 7i43 one:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/hm2_7i90.9.html

Does this card take the servo thread so i can bump up the frequency?

It is driven at the servo thread rate, but between updates can output steps at MHz frequencies.

More
14 Jan 2016 00:03 #68336 by tommylight
PnCconfig is for mesa cards, stepconf is for parallel port.
Tom
Oh, hi Andy! :)

More
14 Jan 2016 15:47 #68379 by andypugh

And Pncconf is for Mesa cards connected to the parallel port...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Jan 2016 15:55 - 14 Jan 2016 15:58 #68384 by cyrut2
Well ive read a couple pages of the hal integrators manual and things are making sense. Got to understand the structure before advancing im getting ahead of myself. There is no easy way and you guys cant do everything for me. Its going to take time but ill see how far i can get on my own.

Im going to buy the 7i90 since its cheap and affordable then ill later get into the ethernet stuff. I want to get started with steppers although i have alot of 3kw to 1kw servos collecting dust (Fanuc). Can the 7i90 also work with encoder servo stuff. Im going to start with 3 steppers with 4k encoders, MPG as input and about 10 ins and 7 outs, servo that needs 3 pwm from pico (this is to play with). Can you recommend what i need to get from mesa? The pico stuff is because i cant find any large servo drives in stock from mesa. Besides i need the fanuc convertor from pico to get those servos going. Graduating this year so i have no experience in electrical field.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2016 15:58 by cyrut2.

More
14 Jan 2016 16:15 #68387 by andypugh

Can the 7i90 also work with encoder servo stuff.

With a change of firmware and interface boards, yes.
you would simply flash with a servo-biased firmware. The software download has quite a range of firmwares (you would use 7i90_epp*.bit files). In the bitfile names st means stepper, sv is servo, ss is smart-serial. However you need to look in a little more detail to figure out the specific pin-allocations.

Besides i need the fanuc convertor from pico to get those servos going. Graduating this year so i have no experience in electrical field.

It is possible to convert Fanuc gray-code to a range of alternative commutation encoding styles using the "bldc" HAL component.

More
14 Jan 2016 23:44 #68416 by tommylight

And Pncconf is for Mesa cards connected to the parallel port...

Thank you Andy for enlightening me on that, i realy do not remember seeing paraport mentioned in the PnCconfig, although i just had a look at it once when it first came to Linucnc.

More
14 Jan 2016 23:50 #68417 by andypugh

Thank you Andy for enlightening me on that, i realy do not remember seeing paraport mentioned in the PnCconfig, although i just had a look at it once when it first came to Linucnc.

You can choose a 7i43 and it lets you configure the parport address. It doesn't seem to know about the others yet.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds