Disable tool table?

More
14 Jan 2016 13:11 #68361 by MichaES
Disable tool table? was created by MichaES
Hi!

I'll begin with a few lines of back story; about a week back our old computer running a really old build of linuxcnc finally threw in the towel. We replaced the machine with a new one and installed the latest version of Linuxcnc. To our joy, pretty much everything seemed to be spot on and working as before if not better.

Until yesterday.

I was doing some contouring and when I switched to drilling operations I coldn't load the .ngc. Linuxcnc threw the error: "Requested tool X not found in tooltable" and flat out refused to load the toolpaths.

Now, i've been digging around a good part of last night and this morning to find an override or similar solution to avoind checking the tool numbers in the g-code towards the tool table. It's a really small machine, all toolchanges are manual, so no need for Linuxcnc to keep track of our tools, this is done in CAM.

I just want to mill my things and work like we used to, but nothing gets past the tool table and I don't have the time or the data to enter every odd tool I use into linuxcnc.
Can I turn this 'feature' off? Is there anything I can do in postprocessing to avoid this? I use Fusion 360 for CAD/CAM.

Very thankful for any assistance, I really need to make some chips fly!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2016 13:26 #68363 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Disable tool table?
You choose a tool for each operation in Fusion CAM.
Is the problem that you have legacy G-code that uses tool changes?

How many tools are you talking about? It might not be as difficult to create the required tool table entries as you think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MichaES

More
14 Jan 2016 15:55 #68383 by MichaES
Replied by MichaES on topic Disable tool table?
Precisely, the tools are defined in Fusion but Linuxcnc claim that the tool is not found the the tool table, which is internal to Linuxcnc. I rather define all my commands in fusion and just have linuxcnc run the machine. Would it be possible to create a dummy table with random tools in linuxcnc and just run like usual?

As for legacy, I have selected preloadTool and writeTool as 'no' in the post processor. Though I'm too much of a novice to really know the implications of this. I have also tried with stock settings, which turns the options to 'yes', no difference in results.

As for creating the tool table; it's a machine that is used not only by me and other members of the makerspace which houses the mill may well bring their own tools, I wouldn't wanna mess up their work which is why I'd be happy if I could just run everything from CAM.

More
14 Jan 2016 16:00 #68385 by andypugh

Would it be possible to create a dummy table with random tools in linuxcnc and just run like usual?

It should be. But I am curious about what changed to make your previous (presumably working) tool table stop working.

As for legacy, I have selected preloadTool and writeTool as 'no' in the post processor.

Is Fusion inserting M6 and T commands? G43?

As for creating the tool table; it's a machine that is used not only by me and other members of the makerspace which houses the mill may well bring their own tools, I wouldn't wanna mess up their work which is why I'd be happy if I could just run everything from CAM.

Fusion seems to have a tool-table per job (which is actually frustrating to me)

I think you either need to have a tool table and use it, or not have a tool table and eliminate tool-change commands from the G-code.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MichaES

More
14 Jan 2016 16:09 #68386 by MichaES

It should be. But I am curious about what changed to make your previous (presumably working) tool table stop working.

I didn't touch the tool table, it stopped working from one file to another. And when loading the first g-code it didn't work either.

Is Fusion inserting M6 and T commands? G43?

Yes, line 8 has both the M6 and T command, I have edited that out and tried to run it, but it just skipped a few lines and complained about a later line instead. I'm not that the machine at the moment and I can't remember the specific line. I'll upload the g-code attached to this post and try in an hour when I'm in the shop.

I think you either need to have a tool table and use it, or not have a tool table and eliminate tool-change commands from the G-code.

I'll try to use a dummy table then, I'll report back with any results :-)
Thank you for your help!
Attachments:

More
14 Jan 2016 16:35 #68390 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Disable tool table?
just add dummy entrys to cover the tools +1
this usually happens if for argument you call tool 4 and theirs only 3 in the table

when using a cam program it's best to use the linuxcnc tool table for wear offsets only , and let the cam side do it's job

More
14 Jan 2016 17:33 #68399 by MichaES

just add dummy entrys to cover the tools +1
this usually happens if for argument you call tool 4 and theirs only 3 in the table

when using a cam program it's best to use the linuxcnc tool table for wear offsets only , and let the cam side do it's job

I manually removed M6, T commands and G43 from my g-code and it finally ran! Sadly using dummy entries did nothing to prevent the error... Manually editing every g-code will work in the short term, but if you or anyone else has any ideas how to solve this, either in CAM/Post or in LinCNC I'd extremely grateful!

Anyways, thanks for all the help, any additional input is valuable!

More
14 Jan 2016 17:36 #68400 by andypugh

Sadly using dummy entries did nothing to prevent the error..

Did you edit the tool table in the tool table editor?
Did you add tools with numbers that corresponded to the ones called out in the G-code?

More
14 Jan 2016 17:59 #68401 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Disable tool table?
you must have edited the tool table incorrectly , you need at least 1 tool more than you would call
so if you have 9 tools then you need 10 entrys .

post your tooltable

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds